Turning Over A New Leaf

Modesty is an issue that I’ve struggled with for some time. I know that dressing seductively is not pleasing to God because it sets a stumbling block in the path of Christian and unChristian men. I know that the site of a female’s anatomy can cause one to lust in their mind and I don’t want to be the stimulus for someone’s sin.

Yet at the same time I am tempted by the idea of physically attracting my husband to my physical attributes. My intention is not to attract the attention of another man…just mine. I desire to look sexy, by the world’s standards. This is my weakness. I want to look attractive…and my idea of attractive is figure flattering clothing like these.

I don’t show cleavage at all. I think that it is inappropriate in any setting. But what I do like is a shirt that is tailored at the waist and a tailored slack or jean pant. Like these:

I am very petite (5′, 2″~118 lbs) and do not like to be swallowed by my clothes. I have skinny arms and legs therefore I don’t like wide pants or shirts. What I consider tailored my husband considers tight. Like this entire outfit. Which is my style.

What has caused me to change my choice of clothing is when I began seeing my daughter dress in some of the styles that I’ve worn. When I began to see my styles on her, I immediately wanted her to take it off. When I saw the bumps and curves through her shirts and jeans I just wanted to take a blanket and throw it over her.I have been a hypocrite for years but now that she is going on fourteen I have become really serious about dressing modestly. Now with that said, let me show you how I am aspiring to dress:

Notice that there is no v-neck and the pants are a looser fit.

1. Country Girl At Heart says

I am glad that you found this post also. If you have a blog let me know so that I can come and see it.

Mrs. Monise, modesty is something that many women young and old struggle with.

And I see daily what the ladies are wearing today. What we choose to wear on the outside is a reflection of what we feel on the inside, although some may disagree with this statement.

Thank you Mrs. Monise for your comment. Come back and visit anytime.

2. Mrs. Monise says

I am glad that I found this post! Oh my goodness I hate to admit you sound like me! I myself have been struggling with this problem becasue I want to look sexy for my husband (you know how the other girls are looking when around your husband) LOL! I know that it is important to dress modestly so I try to dress this way at all times even at the expense of feeling unsexy.
    Whew! you should just see what some of these ladies wear! very form fitting pants, shirts you name it! It makes me feel uncomfortable because I know my husband feels just as uncomfortable (not trying to look)

I like the selections you chose for your remake I would wear those outfits if I could!

*My daughter likes your blog

God Bless You and Your Family

3. Earthmommy says

I can totally identify with you on this! I have two teenage daughters, ages 18 and 15 and when I see them dress the way I used to dress I just want to lock them in a tower until they are 30! We don’t always realize the impact, good or bad, that we have on our daughters! Good for you for examining this issue more closely and making positive changes!

4. Country Girl At Heart says

I believe that change must begin with self. We cannot expect others to meet a standard that we are not upholding in our own lives.

What has become an exceptable level of wardrobe decency shakes me at my very core. And as a women, wife, mother, sister, sister in-law, daughter,aunt and teacher I am setting an example for all young ladies who look to me as a role model. Once I know better, I must do better.

Thank you all for your comments.

5. Debbie J. says

I agree that there is a fine line between looking attractive for our husbands and being modest. I know he would like for me to look nice when we go somewhere together, but he wouldn’t want me to show any parts of my body!

Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving a comment! I appreciate it!

Debbie J.

6. Willow says

I’ve also been changing my wardrobe lately to something much more modest. Not for religious reasons, but for plain common decency. I have the opposite situation going on – I’m a large woman, so I don’t need so have stuff hanging out or jiggling uncontrollably. Also I’m of an age now where I don’t have to worry about following fashion (finally)!

Longer vests and jackets have turned some of my marginal outfits into good-to-wear. Short sleeve jackets for warmer days, and I can wear the old little tight t-shirts as undershirts when there’s a chill.

I work in an office where I see EVERYTHING everyday. The dress code is not enforced, so I see body parts, male and female, that you would not want to encounter. Maybe I can be a good example. Probably not. I can only change myself.

7. Lawanda says

And yet, the modest clothes are just as shapely and attractive! 🙂 I try to be modest too. I also struggle with it. And my dh idea of modest and mine are totally different. I usually concede to his opinions, as he is the guy, and he should know how they think :-p

What I don’t understand is how some dads (and moms!) can let their kids walk out of the house in some of things I see girls wear anymore! It is beyond me!

I, too, like pretty & stylish clothes. But I have to agree with you that there is a line we have to be careful not to cross. The more modest clothes you’ve pictured are really cute. Myself, I would feel pretty in any of them!