Black Friday

***I am hosting a “Blogger Book Club”. Click here to find out what we are reading and how to join in on the fun. We begin on Monday Nov 12th, so hurry.***

With Christmas a few weeks away I am getting into shopping mode. I have participated in black Friday two years in a row and have not regretted it. The first year I was out at 5 a.m. and I got just about everything at unbelievably low prices, but the second year my husband waited until 9 a.m. and we got scraps. Black friday is one of the ways that we keep our Christmas spending cost as low as possible.

For those who don’t know, Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving in the United States. It it one of the major U.S. holiday shopping days. in which many U.S. consumers begin Christmas shopping. It’s also the most heavily promoted shopping days by retailers.

The origin of Black Friday comes from the shift to profitability during the holiday season. Black Friday was when retailers went from being unprofitable, or “in the red,” to being profitable, or “in the black”, at a time when accounting records were kept by hand and red indicated loss and black profit.

This year I am ready. I will be in the car at 4:30 a.m. on my way to Walmart, Best Buy and Toys R Us. I am subscribed to 2 black friday websites. They are supposedly giving me pre black friday top secret sale information. If you want to check some out for yourself click any of the following links.,,,

Do you participate in Black Friday? and What are your Christmas shopping plans? Please leave a comment.

1. kevin says

Black Friday is the busiest shopping day before Christmas ! Have a gala shopping time ! Indulge in the holiday spirit with friends and loved ones and go on a splurge ! Don’t forget to send everyone the reminder to shop till they drop with some funny ecards Here Black Friday Ecards

Hi again (o: I like to knit things for people. Right now I have some socks going for one of my daughters, & I’ll be sewing pajama pants for all three kids. It’s a fun, easy pattern for me to do. Other knitted gifts I’ll be making are felted bowls which I can fill with homemade candy. After the candy is eaten, the bowl will make a nice what-not container…keys, loose change, etc. My prototype turned out OK, so I think I’ll go ahead with the others. I also like to make baked goods for people. And apples from our trees, all polished & with a tiny ribbon tied around each stem, make a very pretty & welcome hostess gift presented in a basket.

Just a few of the things that are going on, gift-wise, around our house.

3. Country Girl At Heart says

Yes, Shelia it definately is cold getting up and going out so early.

And Renae, I am hoping to begin shopping throughout the year next instead of waiting until November. I’ll probably reserve just the purchae of bigger ticket items until Black Friday.

Thanks all for stopping by.

4. Shelia says

Black Friday definitely serves its purpose. When my children were small I’d always get out there at 4:00 a.m. and scramble with everybody else. It’s a bit of a pain but it’s well worth it. I kinda miss the challenge, but I don’t miss being out in the cold that early in the morning.

5. Renae says

Did you know that many Black Friday sales are available online? Last year I got a printer/scanner/copier for $25.

My Christmas shopping is almost done. I buy things throughout the year, and we do things very simply. The focus in on the blessings of God, not all the stuff. At least, that is my goal. 🙂

I do want to make some quilted bags/pillows for my little girls and my niece to store their nightgowns in. That will be fun! I haven’t sewed in ages.

6. Country Girl At Heart says

Thanks for the recipe Mrs.E. I have tasted a recipe similar. The treats I had were created by placing a pretzel on the bottom,a caramel in the middle and another pretzel on top. The caramel held to pretzels together.

I saw some Christmas cookie tins on sale for .99 cents. I could make 3 or so dozen mock chocolate caramel turtles and fill a tin for my Father in Love(law). He loves candy.

7. Mrs.E says

Thank you so much for sharing the black friday links. The lists are much simpler than hunting down all those store fliers.

Since you like making chocolate gifts, here is one that I’ve made in the past which you might enjoy and is super simple to make.

Take a small regular twisted hard pretzel and place a rolo chocolate candy on top and put in the oven on low temp until you see the the rolo flatten. It is called a “mock chocolate caramel turtle”. My son used to love to make them when he was young and they are not very expensive to make plus they are very tasty 🙂

8. DaBookLady says

Oh I love the apron idea and will check itr out I am making Christmas card baskets, I just love them and still have 2 from many moons ago…I am excited to start reading the 1st 3 chapters and look forward to this, also I linked you on my site for others to join in possibly…thanks…

9. Lawanda says

Ewww Shopping. I hate to shop!

I have not been out on Black Friday since I lived with my mom and she forced me to go.

I’d rather just not buy things. Haha

I hate to decorate for holidays. I guess I am just the biggest bah humbug ever. But it does save quite a bit of money when you don’t care if your house is all holiday-y. 😉

10. Country Girl At Heart says

What kinds of homemade gifts have you guys made or are working on?

One that I am working on are aprons for my children’s grandparents. I’ll get some aprons which are on sale at Micheal’s for $2 each and allow the children to put painted handprints with their names on each apron.

11. Country Girl At Heart says

We started dabbling with the idea of making gifts this year as well. We are thinking about making chocolate covered pretzels for our children’s Sunday school teachers.

I wanted to crochet aprons for my friends but I didn’t start planning earlier enough in the year. I have a link showing one that I made if anyone is interested. It’s listed under crafts and includes a link to the pattern instructions. It took about 3 weeks for me to complete.

Thanks Brenda for stopping by.

Wow!…you’re so organized. I confess I don’t always do Black Friday. Sometimes I’ll go out, just because of the festivity of it all. But I do buy & make Christmas gifts all year long…I’ve got a pretty decent stash!