HomeMaking 101

Being a full time wife and mother can be a difficult job especially without a solid plan. In order for me to successfully manage my home I have created a list of rules I should follow below.

Housework– I do no housework after 5 pm except for cleaning the kitchen after dinner. I am a stay at home mom which makes me my own boss. I make my own schedule; therefore if I am still cleaning the house after 8pm on a consistent basis then I need to fire myself. Housework is my job not my life.

Laundry– I never start laundry after 1 pm unless it’s one load. If I wait late in the afternoon to begin laundry I will probably go to bed with piles of laundry on the couch.

Meals– I always know what we are eating at least (and I use this term very loosely) a day in advance. I do this so that I can begin prepping the day before for example, defrosting meats, cutting potatoes or soaking beans. Trying to figure out what we are going to eat at the last minute gives me a headache.

To-Do-List– I never (and I do mean never) make my To-Do list more than six items long. Also, once I have completed everything on it I do not add another item to it. Any new items are first on tomorrow’s list.

Homeschooling– I do not do-for-my-children what they can do for themselves. One of my goals in educating my children at home is to teach them how to be self reliant in their academic responsibilities. They are to be at the table doing school work each morning whether I am up or not. I am always up, but sometimes I may linger in my room talking with there father or purposely not come out of my bedroom, just to test their work ethic. It is their job to get themselves up and out of bed no later than 8 am.

These rules help my home run smoothly and also enable me to create a routine that can meet the needs of all of the members of our family. Each family is going to do things differently. Do what works for you, but while you are at it leave a comment letting me know what routines you follow in order to make homemaking easier for you.

1. Katrina says

I see this was posted back in November but I’m just now reading it and I feel I just have to respond. I am in the middle of trying to get my life organized or at least less crazy. I haven’t read most of your blog so I don’t know, but how old are your kids? Mine are 4, 2, 1 and another one due in July. I’ve been staying home with them for 2 years now and I feel like I’m going to lose it sometimes. Your post was right on target. I love the ‘no work after 5PM’. And about being your own boss. Even though my kids are so young, I totally agree with making them be self sufficient. Once I know they can do something by themselves then I let them. I’m also like one of the ladies who posted about being so overwhelmed most of the time that throughout the day I don’t get anything done. Some days are better than others though. I just worked up a Meal Menu and am going to pick a day on teh weekend to prep everything for the on coming week because I do end up preparing 3 meals and 2 snacks a day at the last minute and it’s driving me crazy and taking up valuable time. I look forward to reading more tips and advice from you.

2. Country Girl At Heart says

I will be posting a follow up post to your question “HOW do you find time to get it all done during the day with school going on?”

Earth Mommy~
    I do a once over as well for example if there’s shoes by the front door or if someone forgot to move a sweater off of the couch. But absolutely no heavy duty cleaning just tidying up.

Congratulations on Bri’s dedication. The six item list is a life saver. Only the top most pressing jobs make my 6 list. This keeps me from over burdening myself and losing my mind.

Thanks for tagging me. I’ve never been tagged before. I will answer the questions and post my answers this week.

I’ve been there and back again. With the ‘Six list’ I feel a sense of finality to my work day.

My husband actually helped me adopt this strategy. One day I was crying my eyes out about not being able to finish my to-do list. I told my husband that my list was forcing me to work while the rest of the family was watching T.V or relaxing.

That’s when he told me to make a “six list” and once everything was crossed off not to add anything else to that days to do list. He told me that I am my own boss and that if I was still working after 5pm than I needed to fire myself because I’m the one making the schedule.

I’m heading over there right now and I sent you an email to your gmail account.

Thank you all for stopping by.

3. Chele says

I found your blog because of a comment you left at Jennifer Hendrickson’s about “gamecock” colors. Then I knew you must be somewhere in SC or had been at one time. I just read this post — THANK YOU THANK YOU AND THANK YOU. Exactly what I needed to hear. I’ll go to bed tonight w/my clean laundry thrown in front of the closet and a basket of clean laundry for the boys left in the livingroom. Love the idea of the kids being responsible to start their school work. Um, do you live close enough to me to be my “whip-cracker” so that I can get my house in order?? 🙂 I can’t wait to check out the rest of your blog. Stop over at http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/chelelew to see what is going on with us.

4. Sallie says

Hadias —

This is such a great list!! I think I put too much on my plate and then feel overwhelmed so nothing gets done!

God bless,

5. Earthmommy says

I really enjoyed this post and I totally agree with you about laundry and night time housework, although I do try to do a quick once-over before bed…just because I am nuts if the house is messy when I wake up. Thanks for sharing these ideas with us!

6. Nina says

I’m always inspired by your practicality Hadias. I love to plan and make lists, but my downfall is in referring BACK to those lists. That said, we do have a school routine of sorts. Without one, there wouldn’t be much learning going on here. I’m impressed that your children start school on their own — my girls seldom do. The thing is, I like for us to spend time together in the Bible and prayer before their other subjects, therefore if I’m not ready when they are, I hold them up, since we all do Bible together. I like your no housework after 5pm rule too, except HOW do you find time to get it all done during the day with school going on?

7. Country Girl At Heart says

Thanks for stopping by Mrs.Jones I really love the creative things that you are doing around the house. I enjoy the before and after decorating pictures as well, especially the second hand finds.