The following recipe makes 20 packet sized portions. Three tablespoons of this mix is equal to one store bought packet. Use three tablespoons per pound of meat. Add a 2/3 cup of water to the ground meat. If you are using ground turkey add 2 tablespoons of oil as well. Stir and let simmer until sauce thickens.
30 t-spoons of paprika
20 t-spoons chili powder
10 t-spoons oregano
10 t-spoons salt or garlic salt
1/2 cup of flour
Below is recipe for gravy mix. This recipe is a basic recipe as well and can be altered to suit your personal taste. For instance onion powder is a great addition.
Makes 6 cups. Yields 48 batches. Use 1/4 cup of mix
9 ounces of instant bouillon powder (if using cubes simply crush them)
6 cups of flour
Ingredients for cooking the gravy mix
3 tablespoons of butter or margarine
1 1/2 cups of cold water
1. In a bowl combine all ingredients for mix.
2. Store in an airtight container, for up to 6 months.
3. Yield 48 batches.
4. To prepare gravy:.
5. In a saucepan, melted butter.
6. Add 1/4 cup mix.
7. Cook and stir until lightly browned, about a minute.
8. Whisk in water until smooth.
9. Bring to a full boil, cook and stir for 2 minute or until thickened.
The best thing about making your own seasonings is that you control what goes into your body and the bodies of your family. Try to choose preservative and MSG free seasonings as your basis for all of your recipes.