Choose a Sewing Machine

My birthday is on Tuesday February 12th which leaves me with only 7 days to “Tackle” a decision on which sewing machine I want. My husand and I have narrowed it down to the following choices but I need your opinion…AGAIN.

If you own a sewing machine (and use it) I am asking you (my readers and visitors) to help me decide which machine to get.

This is my first machine and I have never sewn before. I need a machine that will allow me to make simple alterations to dress pants and also allow me to make aprons, napkins, tablecloth, curtains and a few simple cotton summer dresses for my little girl.

Below are the final 3 which would you choose? Please leave your vote in my comments.

Features & Specifications

Enjoy the ingenuity of Singer’s fully-electronic 7436 featuring 70 stitch patterns with 3 styles of 1-step buttonholes. A simple, full-featured machine with all the benefits of higher end models, without the price.

*Simple stitch selection

*Drop feed

*Needle threader

*Free arm with accessory storage and extended work surface

*6 pressure feet including an Even Feed foot

*Automatic lock stitch

*Easy bobbin winding

*Horizontal threading

Create stunningoutfits with this precise and easy-to-use sewing machine. Each stitch is electronically formed, ensuring consistency and precision for high-quality results.

As featured on The Martha Stewart Show. (Model 7442)

Product Features

*30 built-in stitches; 80 stitch functions; push button stitch selection for easy operation; lock function for decorative stitches

*Horizontal thread delivery with automatic tension

*Electronic stitch formation; automatic optimum stitch settings; 6-second threading system for added convenience

*1-step buttonholer with 2 styles for quick and easy projects

*Free-arm design for comfortable use

*13 needle positions meet the needs of different projects

*Adjustable presser foot pressure and snap-on presser feet make working with a variety of materials easy

*Top drop-in bobbin with bobbin viewer slide plate; automatic bobbin winding

*Built-in accessory storage

*Durable metal frame with carry handle

*Includes feed cover plate, zipper foot, buttonhole foot, special purpose foot, needles, bobbins, buttonhole opener/brush, screwdriver and large and small spool caps

Brother 60-Stitch Computerized Sewing Machine, CS-6000i

Features & Specifications
Brother model CS-6000i computerized sewing machine features LCD screen for stitch selection. Many other desirable features including a wide variety of built-in utility, decorative and heirloom stitches each with multiple stitch functions. The CS6000i offers maximum flexibility to express your creativity for garment construction, quilting, decorative, and heirloom sewing. Also features 7 styles of 1-step auto-size buttonholes, super-wide 7mm zigzag and decorative stitches, quick-set drop-in bobbin and sewing surface easily convertible from traditional flat bed to free arm for sewing cuffs and sleeves. One-touch start/stop/reverse operations allow sewing with or without the included foot control. Bonus accessories included as described below.

*A wide variety of built-in utility, decorative and heirloom stitches, each with multiple stitch functions

*LCD screen with computerized stitch selection

*7 styles of 1-step, auto-size buttonholes

*Super-wide (7mm) zigzag and decorative stitches

*Automatic needle threading

*Built-in thread cutter

*Variable needle position

*Fast, automatic bobbin winding

*1-step bobbin replacement with quick set drop-in bobbin

*Quilting features included
one-touch start/stop/reverse operations

*Operates with or without foot control

*Drop feed for free motion quilting.

*Create free-form or traditional quilt patterns

*Sew fleece, elastic and other stretchy fabrics with the built-in stretch stitches

*Use the built-in decorative stitches to embellish clothing, pillows, towels and more. Perfect for creating crazy quilt designs

*Create delicate family treasures using the built-in heirloom stitches

*Free arm/flatbed convertible sewing surface

*Accessories for zipper insertion, darning, twin-needle stitching and button sewing

*Built-in accessory storage

*Electronic speed adjustment allows you to choose the most comfortable sewing speed for your project

*Quick change presser feet

*Stitch width and length control

*Adjustable thread tension control

*Safety power and light switch

*25-year limited warranty

Bonus accessories:

*Oversized table for large sewing and quilting projects

*Walking foot for easy, accurate stitching of slippery fabrics or multiple layers

*Spring action quilting foot for darning, quilting or free motion decorative stitching

*Quilting guide helps create precise, evenly spaced quilting lines

*Hard case/cover

I own the brother machine you are considering and LOVE it! I have made curtains, dresses, a suit jacket, many other projects. Button holes are so easy on this machine. I can not recomend it highly enough!

It was the first gift my husband purchased for me after we were married. 🙂

2. Heather says

I’ve only ever owned Singers and I’ve been very happy with them, BUT I’m also a quilter and when I saw that the Brother comes with a walking foot and quilting foot, that sold me. Of course, that’s if you think you’ll ever want to do quilting! (I bought these feet for my Singer separately, so they are available, just didn’t come with my machine.)

Super fun “tackle.” lol My bday is next week also (the 14th) but I don’t see a new machine in my near future. Enjoy! ;o)

Well that IS a wonderful day for a birthday! I, too, have a birthday on Feb 12th. This one will be my big “40”. :~)

I have a white, which is a bit tempermental, and a more delicate machine; and a Bernina. The bernina is a strong workhorse. It was passed down to me from my mother-in-law. She bought this machine new the year my dh was born. It is 43 years old and still runs strong and sure. I’d look at the Berninas if I was looking for a new machine. Just my humble opinion… :~)
    Whatever your choice, enjoy your new toy!!!

Kath, TN

4. Joyce says

If you are getting your Brother from a sewing machine dealer and not a big box store, go for that hands down among your choices.

I think Sears makes Singer now so at least you could get service on those there.

I really hope you tell me your Brother would be from a dealer and not…. a superstore. They are different machines!

I like that it already includes a bigger table and walking foot. You’ll love the walking foot for thick fabrics, matching stripes, and quilting (when you get to that). 🙂

The Brother also offers the option to drop the feed-dogs which you may want later on for quilting/ free-motion embroidery.

My Bernina dealer just told me about 2 Bernette machines for $275 and $300-something. Wish you were closer! (I have no idea where you are. 😉 )

5. Q&Q says

My singer is very old and I got it used. The new gadgetry is something I’m sooo unfamiliar with. So on that note if I were in the same position I would check the reviews on Amazon.
    Lucky you! Happy Birthday!

Thank you for stopping by!

6. The Flying Monkeys says

HEHE I bought a handheld, or I just use glue for patches, and such for you aint getting me to sew NUTTIN! LOL

Very good! I did a SEMI- tackle, but it looks better then it did!

7. ~ Angi :) says

Great choices, Hadias!

I’m voting for the Brother also ~

The features are fantastic. Once you’ve gotten your feet under you, doing fleece and stretch fabrics with the stretch stiches will be fun! next thing ya know you’ll be making the girls’ undies! LOL

The ability to use or not use the foot control is another bennie I like. Also, you get a wide variety of button holes.

I suspect you’ll get started, and move on to bigger and better things . . .! 🙂

8. Happy in the Home says

I use my machine almost every day for business. We bought our oldest daughter one for Christmas also. She wanted the one stitch that I use for business. Not all machines have it.

It is the serging stitch. It is a really pretty and tight stitch that allows you to sew 2 or more pieces of fabric together without hemming. On the stitch selector it looks like three quarter notes lying on their sides. ./././ only sidways and tight next to each other. It stitches a couple of stitches then backs up and then overcasts.

My hubby actually offered to get me a serger for Christmas, but after thinking about it I really like this stitch better as it won’t unravel if a stitch breaks for some reason. Also, I don’t have to thread 3-4 spools!

I think the singer you are looking at has that stitch.

Have fun with this!

9. Heart of Wisdom says

Great choices. Snap on feet are a must. I used to sew 10 hours a day, now I write. I miss sewing. There was no Internet when I did sew but be able to share my creations in a blog would have been so cool! I still have a lot of photos of some of them, I designed a few patterns of my own. Maybe I should blog now 🙂 about 20 years late.

Back to your machines. Try reading through Amazon reviews.

I cut cord clutter this week.

10. Milehimama says

The Brother looks good – but is it so fancy that any repairs would be impossible? I’ve never sewn with an LCD screen. It seems to have many useful functions.
    The quick change presser foots are definitely something to have (on models #2 and #3.)
    The Brother says you can sew without the foot pedal? That might be good for ensuring even stitches, esp. for a beginner. All other things being equal, that one looks the best to me, with #2 being a close second.
    (BTW – ALL of these machines should have stretch stitches, and they all look like they convert to free arm.)

11. Bethany says

Good morning! I definately vote for the Brother machine. There are a number of reasons for this. First of all, the special table it comes with to expand the surface area will be especially nice for projects you want to make like drapes and tablecloths.

The special stitches will be fun for napkins and things like that. Also, the wider zig zag will be a good option.

You’ll like the snap on feet, they are much easier to change, and when you want to buy more of them, it’s very easy to remember what kind will fit your machine.

I saw by looking at the stitch pictures shown on the machine that there is a built in edge finish stitch. I don’t think the machine comes with a edge finish foot, but they only cost five dollars or so. This is good because with that stitch and that foot, you’ll be able to overcast the edges of your fabric, which is an excellent way to finish seams.

There are lots of little details on this machine that will really make sewing very enjoyable for you. If I were choosing from these three machines for myself to use, I’d go with the Brother one. I think it will work very well for you and for what projects you want to do.