In the Kitchen

I’d like to show off what I deem to be a hidden treasure. I found the jelly/jam making kit pictured below at the Goodwill store. I had already been thinking about learning how to can and preserve fruits and veggies, so when I saw the box sitting on the shelf I immediatley knew that I had to have it.

As you can see the box has all of the pieces and ingredients. It looks like it’s never been used.
I am going to have my children help prepare it. So before we begin I will make a science unit study out of this project. That way if we fail at making the jelly I can still give them a science credit for their effort and participation.

1. Betty says

I am so happy that you visited with me and left a comment so that I can respond…..

You will receive so much satisfaction canning jelly, jams and on to vegetables… the delicious results…..I canned when my family was young, many, many jars….now that it’s just my husband and I, I don’t do as much……

My daughter has six children and homeschools….she was a teacher by vocation…..Picketfence Mom..she’s listed at the bottom on my blog if you want to check her blog out…Betty

2. Feathering My Nest says

Good for you! You will love making jam. Write to me if you have questions, or call your local extention office. I couldn’t tell if there was a Ball Blue Book in there. The Ball Blue Book has every detail about canning in it. ENJOY! Our family cans nearly everything.

Hugs, Kathi

3. Sharon says

Oh, you’ll have fun! It is really fun to make jelly. What a neat find at Goodwill! I am sure you and your kids will enjoy making it as well as eating it!

:0) Sharon

4. Julieann says

What a wonderful find. I hope you post how everything turns out. I want to learn how to can too.

Awesome Show and Tell.

5. Constance says

I have been canning for about 25 years and love it! The best was when we lived in Nebraska and I had a ginormous garden. I canned carrots, green beans, pumpkins, tomatoes, corn, pickles and pickled okra. I can’t have a garden here in texas, everything burns up! Have fun! Check the date on the Sure-Jell stuff to make sure it hasn’t expired, you’ll have better results in your finished product!

6. Rain says

What a great find! I love thrift stores, Goodwills and the like. It seems like I always find far more interesting and useful things there than anyplace else. Have fun!

7. Penless Thoughts says

A neat item and sounds like fun. I love the way you home school moms are able to incorporate REAL living in with REAL learning.

8. ~ Angi :) says

THis conjures up memoriees for me, Hadias . . .picking chokecherries down by the river; making jelly in Home Ec class with Mrs. Weyers; repeating the process as a young wife with my sister-in-law; melting hot wax to seal many a jar . . .

what a treasure the Lord has given you ~ not a box of goods, but the ability to create memories. How wonderful! 🙂

9. Chayil says

Wow you have a well assorted goodwill store!

Your kids will love making jam, I used to love making it with my grandmother in the end I would be all stained but extremely delighted.

I haven’t made any with my kids, I don’t like jam and neither do my kids and dh. Real shame tho caus we have a bread/doughmaker and we even got a booklet on how to make jam with it.

Enjoy your weekend!

This was a great find, Hadias….& you will have so much fun making jam. It really isn’t that hard. So nice, too, to enjoy the “fruits of your labors” year ’round. Good luck!

11. Hootin' Anni says

My mother did ALL her canning…and she so enjoyed it. I continued to marvel at her skills…then, when I grew up and had kids of my own, I oftentimes wondered where she got all her energy!!!!!

Good luck.

This is one fantastic show n tell

12. Bethany says

Yay! What a great find! You all will have so much fun canning things. Canning is actually one of my husband’s favorite hobbies. He’s always doing spicy combos I wouldn’t think of, like Mango Jalapeno.

If you want to go into other things, I highly recommend the book Blue Ribbon Preserves by Linda J. Amendt. I first found it at the library and we enjoyed it so much that I bought a used copy on Amazon.

It’s easier than you might imagine and the kids will feel so proud to have toast with jelly they helped to make! Can’t wait to see some finished product photos.