Why Submission is God’s design for marriage

marriage” rel=”attachment wp-att-82066″>Why Submission is Actually God's design for you

What words come to mind when you hear the word, submit.

Is it doormat, servant or slave?

How about weak or passive?

Well what comes to mind for me is love and strength but this hasn’t always been the case.

For many years I looked at submission as something that weak women did but through growing in my relationship with Christ I have been given a different perspective, one that has changed my life and my marriage.

From the day that I gave my life to Christ I have desired to do what was pleasing to Him, but when I discovered that pleasing Him included submitting to my husband, I struggled.

I had to examine my self in the light of Gods word. What I learned is I refused to submit not because I feared my husband would abuse his power, nor was it genuinely because I thought that my husband was incapable of leading.

What it boiled down to at the core was that I was full of pride and selfishness.

I wanted to be in control.

I wanted to wear the proverbial pants in the relationship.

I believed the worlds lie that control means exerting my authority, rights and opinions. This was so far from the truth.

God has ordained my husband to be the leader of our family, and with that he has a great responsibility. He is responsible if our family succeeds or fails. I’m speaking regarding eternal success or failure. When I began to see the magnitude of the responsibility my husband held, coveting his role no longer looked so appealing.

In response, I began focusing on my role and what I’ve learned is that I am his helper.

In Genesis 2, when God provides a helper for Adam, He used a glorious Hebrew word for helper: azer. “Then the Lord God said, ‘It is not a beneficial thing for the man to be alone. I will make for him an azer who is his complement or equal.”

“In Hebrew, azer is used 19 times; mostly it is used to denote humanity’s great helper (The Holy Spirit). The word means a “helper like unto God.”

God paid a compliment to women with this word. The same word is used in Psalms, where it says, “O Israel, trust in the Lord, for He is their Helper and shield” (Psalm 115:9).

The term is always used to describe someone who brings significant help... When the ancient Hebrew speaking Israelite heard the term used to describe Eve, he would have been impressed.

He would have thought of women, therefore, as a God-like gift from God.

(source CBN.com)

I am his helper and I am suitable for him when, I submit to Him.

Will all of his decisions be the right decisions? No.

My obligation to God is to submit to my husband, trusting that God has my best interest at heart. So as long as my husband is not leading me to sin, I choose to submit.

My marriage has benefited so much from this decision and I’m sure yours can too.

Ladies, where are you in your journey? How can I pray for you or create more content that will help you? Let’s continue the conversation in the comment section. I read every comment and reply to most, so if you have a question or want to talk, leave your thoughts below.

Comments

1. Kris Shriver says

Correction: My obligation to God is to submit to my husband, trusting that God has my best interest at heart. So as long as my husband is “NOT” leading me to sin, I choose to submit.

2. Lisa C says

Oh the joys of being a wife who knows that there is power in submitting to your husband 🙂

On my wedding night I had a very detailed conversation with a couple of friends about submission. They asked because of a line I said in my wedding vow. Let’s just say we ended that conversation on separate sides of the fence. Only to find myself years later hopping from one side to another. Saying things like , “this submission thing is HIGHLY overrated”.

It was a process. One that we Wives who truly have a heart for submission will go through from time to time. We’re not perfect but we are made perfect in HIS image, which was something that I had to accept. There are days that I don’t get it and then others where I know I’m there.

All in all I do my very best to remember my place in my marriage, my lane and how to operate in it well. Because like I said earlier, it takes courage and strength to submit. Any “weak” person can do the opposite.

Hadia, I rambled. Didn’t mean too. I’m just passionate about this. Thanks for sharing your heart~

3. The Organized Rambler says

Thanks for this post! I am one of those women that have struggled in this area and still do…I am reading a book called “The Excellent Wife” by Martha Peace and it os helping me to see that in my submission I am pleasing the Lord as well as my Dh…makes it alot easier to do 🙂

Jacks Mom~
    I agree that being the head of things is tough. This is why it is so very important that we make encouraging our husbands a priority. They have a very great and eternal responsibilty as head of the family. We also share in that responsibility. Our calling as the help meet is a very important one. God has chosen us to be the helper that our husbands need in order to successfully guide the family. Therefore we ought to take great thought about what we say to our husbands. We must monitor closely our actions to be sure that we are being helpers and not a hinderances. I loved your comment, such a great analogy.

5. Jack's Mommy says

Much of the time, i wish my hubby would lead MORE so I can submit more! having worked in a high pressure management & HR position for 4 years (was laid off in october), there are times when I simply do not want to make ANY decisions whatsoever. To me, being “the head” (of anything) is a HUGE responsibility – it’s a position that I am GLAD i don’t have to have in my home. There is so much mental and physical stress involved in being the “decider” of anything – whether it’s for a company or for a family. I gladly take a step back at home so someone else can “manage”.

Since I have a business background, I view “submit” as a good thing – the workers (us wives) get things done, offer our “front line” advice/help, and turn the wheel, but if the company falters the head manager(hubby) is ultimately responsible to the CEO (God). I wouldn’t want that position for ANYTHING!!! WHEW!!

6. Lawanda says

I once heard a preacher say that the husband is the head, but the wife is the neck that he turns on. 🙂

I have never had much trouble with this, but my personality is very fitted to it. I know it is a struggle with most people.

I do have trouble trying to edify my husband, though.

Trackbacks