God has blessed me with a talent for sewing that has been cultivated in me by no initiative of my own. I never prayed for the ability but was given talent nonetheless.

Since the purchase of my first sewing machine I have done things that I thought could only be done by professional seamstress. Not only does my mind swirl with images of clothing patterns but also of ways to make things that are useful around my home. Creating things such as valances, napkins and tablecloth allow me to beautify my home, and assist my husband in preventing financial waste.

In the “Parable of the Talent”
(Matthew 25:14-30), the Master has gone on a long journey, and has entrusted his property to his servants. He has given them some talents. The Master has the expectation that when he returns, they will have increased what He has given.

The good Master has also given me some talents as well. One of which is the ability to sew. I, therefore, am obligated to use that talent to bring glory to God.

I have used my talent to save my husband money on alterations. To have a pair of pants hemmed, can run anywhere between $7 in my community. Waist alterations average about $15. I have made a pair of valances for my den windows from recycled fabric. At the store it would have cost me roughly $20 for both.

The benefits of nurturing my talent are not only financially, but are beneficial for the well being of my family. My children and I have worked together on sewing projects which gives them a sense of accomplishment. They also read to me while I sew or talk with me about things that are on their minds. I think that it’s a good image to set into the minds of my children. Allowing them to see their mother’s efforts and talents benefiting the family in so many ways reinforces the importance of the wife within the family structure.

We need to use whatever “talent” God has given us. It might be money or ability. If we use it wisely, He will increase it so that our lives will glorify Him.

I am no where near perfect but I hope that when the Lord returns that I will hear the words, “Well done, (My) good and faithful servant! You have been faithful with a few things; I will put you in charge of many things. Come and share your master’s happiness!” Matthew 25:21

Are you hiding a talent? If so dig it up and use it. Allow the Lord to increase it. The Good Master has not yet returned and there is still time to use what you have been given.

For His Glory

Ang~ I tey and take advantage of every opportunity possible to read to them or to have them read to me.

I read to them while they craft and vice versa. The mind seems to calm down and the body begins to relax allowing the listener to absorb more of the story. It’s great for them to read while you cook or maybe a page while you fold laundry.

Dive in. The sky is the limit.

Than you for visiting Angi.

2. ~ Angi :) says

Why Hadias . . .what a brilliant idea:

you said: They also read to me while I sew

I shall pick up the idea and run with it! Thank you! 🙂

Talents certainly mean more than crafts. If you have a gift that comes naturally to you that may be a struggle for others…you have a talent.

Whatever that talent is I encourage you to ebgin asking God how He would like you to use it to benefit Him.

If you are not sure what your talents are begin by asking family and friends. Once you have identified your talents begin looking for opportunities where you ca use your talents to make life better for family, friends, neighbors and church members.

This is really great, Hadias. I hear many people say that they are not creative at all, & I think that’s such a shame. These same people are usually quite talented at something or other…but they may not see it as a talent, believing that creativity means “crafty”, & of course that’s not necessarily true. You are right to encourage us to “dig it up”, to use our hidden talents!

You are very talented. I adore your soap making and your abilty to scrap is a wonderful talent that you can teach your daughters.

They will gain such an independence and sense of accomplishment.

I especially love that it creates a bond between mother and child that nutures their trust and confidence in their parents. even throughout their teen years, when many parents say that their chldren wothdraw.

Thank you for visiting. I am encouraged by all that you are doing for your girls Earthmommy.

6. Earthmommy says

Hadias, once again you have inspired me. I was thinking today about all the creative things I love to do and ways in which I can use them.

Thanks again! Oh, and NICE JOB on your sewing accomplishments! I have wonderful childhoos memories of talking to my mother while she sewed draperies and many other items. Your post brought those memories back to me vividly today. : )