I Didn’t Yell

This morning the children had an 8 am dentist appointment. Early morning appointments are always hectic for me, but because of my husbands work schedule, it has become the only logical time to set them.

Anyhow, while getting the children ready this morning I checked their teeth to make sure that they had brushed properly, only to find brown Raisin Bran crud still left in my daughters back teeth.

But guess what?

“I didn’t yell”.

I calmly told her to go and get her toothbrush so that I could brush her teeth for her.

Later when we returned home we promptly began school. For whatever reason, my teen daughter was in a funk ((again)). She was not interested in participating in the classroom discussion. Usually, I would become irritated at her disinterest in the school lessons.

But not this morning, this morning, “I didn’t yell”.

I calmly told her what was expected of her ((2 minutes worth, and this is huge for me because I am a lecturer)). Following that I prayed for each of the children and we moved on to our next subject.

Yelling used to be a part of how disciplined my children. When I learned that there was a better way to parent I began making small but consistent changes in my behavior.

Now I study the Bible to learn how God wanted to me to treat my children, interact with and feel about my children.

I pray for God’s direction in disciplining my children. Before making a decision to discipline, I search the Bible to see how God would handle each offence. I ask God to fill my heart with love for my children, for peace in knowing that he wants what’s best for them as much as I do, and for patience in waiting on His ways to manifest in them.

Each morning I also began to do something different. I now thank God for my children. I acknowledge that they belong to Him and that He has a purpose for their lives. I ask Him to grant me the wisdom to raise them according to His will.

I will never be a perfect parent, but by Gods grace I will daily surrender myself to raising my children in a way that glorifies my Lord and Savior.

Do you yell at your children in anger? Are you feeling overwhelmed with parenting? Then cast all of your cares upon the Lord. He doesn’t want to you figure it out alone. His answers can be found in the Bible. Confess that you need His help. Do this everyday until you began to hear and see the help that he sends your way.

My Past Posts on Parenting:

The Heart of a Child

Occupying Toddlers…

Children at Home

Mean Mommy

Do not provoke your children to anger

You are right Katrina regarding the appearance of things. I by no means have anything together.

I, by myself, am a wretch, and couldn’t get this mothering thing right if somebody paid me.

But it is by God’s grace that I am able to learn from my mistakes and grow through each challenge.

When my children were 1,2,3 and 9 it was very difficult trying to stay calm, organized and sane.

But I made it through and so will you.

The biggest thing that helped during that time was when I gave up trying to be in control. I stopped trying to control my own days. I started each moring by asking God what His will was for that day and I asked Him to make me aware of His will.

Slowly I began to to see that the days that he had planned for me were so much more enjoyable than anything that I could ever plan for myself.

I began to yell less and became less stressed.

I still don’t have it all together but I am better than I was.

Somedays I fight with myself not to plan out my whole day. That is my struggle. I am a planner and when my plans go ary, I become irritated and frustrated.

So now I don’t plan alone. I pray and ask God for His divine will. I wait and listen to what He inspires me to do.

Continue to pray. Give God permission to take over every area of your life, no matter how small.

I am going to try and compile a post on some online resources that may be helpful.

2. Katrina says

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you Hadias. Your post truly struck me as I need help in this area. I struggle everyday it seems. It’s so exhausting as it seems I fail everyday. Though I find I call out to God in the mist of the chaos instead of staying ‘prayed up’. I will do what you’re doing and stay in prayer so that my behavior can change. I often feel like I’ve lost control of my own temper so how can I expect my kids to have theirs in check. Alot of times I just have no clue how to deal with certain situations and I think that my kids should act older than they are but they are just kids and they’re learning from me (which is scary because I’m not always setting the best example) I find that I go on and on when I’m getting on them and I know I’m talking way over their heads and probably after the first 5 words they don’t hear a word I’m saying. Being a parent is so hard at times. When you have children your faults are so evident because your actions seemed to be mirrored back at you each day. I so want to raise my children in the way that God wants me to. Reading your blog you seem to have everything together and I’m in awe at times. But I realize that looking from the outside is not always what it seems and/ or it takes time and prayer to get where one is or want to be. A lady at the doctor’s office told me that I seemed so happy all the time when I have my kids with me and not stressed out at all. Hah!! That is so far from the truth. I feel like I’m on the edge most of the time. Tired, frustrated, anxious, stressed, etc… So I know for a fact that things aren’t what they seem to be and we are all a work in progress. Pray for me as I pray for you. Thanks again for the post. I’ll be reading your previous posts as well.

3. Lawanda says

I have to try very hard to not be a yeller. I don’t always succeed at not yelling, either. But I think I have improved over the years. Still LOTS of improvement left to work on, though. *sigh*

4. Sallie says

Hi, Hadias — I’m not typically a yeller. It takes a lot to make me that mad, or even to get any reaction resembling that. However, I do get overwhelmed and will usually grab the side of my head and then sort of thrust my hands away. It’s almost like I’m trying to pull the overwhelmingness off of me and toss it away. My children know this is a time to stop, drop, and roll… uhm, I mean walk away for a little bit 🙂

I think more often than not I am more guilty of the silent treatment. This is just as bad as yelling and something I have to work on!

God bless,

5. Earthmommy says

This was such a wonderful post and I so needed this message today. It has been one of those days around here and I found myself irritable and impatient until I read your uplifting post. Thanks!!

6. Saph says

Thank you for that post. I needed that. I have very little patience with my 3yr old daughter when she’s in a constant whining mode. I need to pray and find out how to get her to obey without threats of taking this or that away.