Questions Anyone?

We have all struggled as parents with feelings of despair, frustration or just being plain overwhelemed.

We can all agree that somedays the children just don’t cooperate, but somedays it’s not them…. it’s us.

What is it that throws us out of whack and makes us feel like we are not cut out to be parents?

Below are three questions. I would love for you to answer any of them. I hope to get enough responses so that we can all begin to see that we are not experiencing struggles unique to our own homes, but that we all struggle as parents at times. And in some way maybe we can be an encouragement to those who may be struggling with an flaw that we have overcome.

1. If you could change anything about the way that you parent what would it be.

Please Comment 🙂

Comments

1. Victoria says

I have 3 boys ranging in age from 4 – 1 1/2 and they are each very unique

1. If you could change anything about the way that you parent what would it be.

I want to me less like my mom, she was a screamer and had no patience and I don’t want to be like that but find myself turning into that when my boys decide to push my buttons…..I am really trying to be more consistent in training them up but it is very difficult

I am in a chaotic, stressful environment and battling depression/anxiety (waiting on a dr. appt) and some days I am totally on but other days I can barely get out of bed or I end up with a horrible headache and my day is shot and this really just has not left much room for me to be the parent that I want to be even though I have the best intentions…….

Yes/No I came to the realization that no matter what the boys deserve better from me and no matter how I am feeling or how stressed I might be even I lose my cool I try to apologize to them and let them know I love them and I am having an off day and every single day I make the effort to tell each of them I love them and to show them each affection along with spending some time with them just playing….Also when I feel myself losing it and I want to scream I try to either pray or walk away and cool down so I don’t do what I know I want to do…..once in a while I may still start screaming but I am getting better

2. amy shreve says

1. If you could change anything about the way that you parent what would it be.
    I would spend more “play” time with the kids. I feel like I spend so much of my time with working, cooking, cleaning, and teaching them good behavior that I don’t have much goof of time with them.

needing to work outside of the house. unless I win the lottery, I can not do much to change this.

nothing yet…

3. The Cottage Nester says

1. If you could change anything about the way that you parent what would it be.

I can’t think of a single thing because I am naturally perfect! LOL! I am just joking I am so far from perfect I can’t even see it with glasses on.

I would be more patient and consistent. What a double whammy for any person to deal with a non patient mother and wife who is inconsistent in her doings. I really need help in these areas!

Patience and consistency.

Not yet there are still so many obstacles in my way at this time. I do hope to overcome one of them so that I can help someone else.

Thank you Hadias and God Bless You & Your Family

4. Karina says

1. If you could change anything about the way that you parent what would it be. I wouldnt yell and be more gentle

2. What do you find is your greatest obstacle to being the parent that you want to be? FEAR!

3. Have you recently overcome an obstacle that kept you from being a better parenting? Tell us what it was and how you did it. um no im working towards it I guess.

5. HopewellMomSchool says

1. If I could change….. I would be more patient and not nag or yell so much. Even though my kids know if I yell it’s over quickly, it’s not good!

2. I have to work for a living 🙂 I’d love to homeschool again for so many reasons–not just the public school Little Shop of Horrors-type stories.

3. I’m not sure…

6. Earthmommy says

Patience, patience and patience!! I’m doing a lot better than I used to with this, but I still find I get frustrated too easily. I’m working on this day by day.

Lawanda I understand your number three. I do give the children time in the livingroom together as they are becoming older but for the most part they do need to stay close by mom so that we can teach them hands on how to deal with conflict.

Some moms don’t even know how much damage they do by letting children play together unsupervised. I didn’t know. I was setting myself up for failure.

Also…#1 is a hard one. That has had to have been one of my greatest battles to overcome.

Thank you for sharing.

Victoria Reply:

@Hadias, can you tell me what you mean please…..i try to give mine a chance to play unsupervised at times and sometimes it works but other times well it can be a nightmare…..

i always thought it was best to let them work it out is this not true?

1. If you could change anything about the way that you parent what would it be.

I would be less overprotective of my teen daughter. I think that because of my fears and lack of faith that I project to her that I don’t trust her. I don’t allow her the space to make choices when they are not the best choices because of my desire to protect her form being hurt. (mentally or emotionally)

My greatest obstacle is a lack of faith. I worry about my children and how negative influences can effect them. I worry that they won’t make wise choices. (which they won’t all of the time, and neither do I) I just hate to see them suffer the consequences.

An obstacle that I have overcome is a rift that had developed between my daughter and her father and I. Her attitude had begun to change and she had not been as close to us for a while.

I recently had a long talk, where I aplogized to her for us not being the perfect parents nor the parents that she desired. I told her that we are doing our best. I explained to her how much we loved her and that we would do whatever was neccesary to mend our realationship with her. She was relieved and so were we.

I really had to become transparent with her that day, which was a little uncomfortable for me. I believe that my daughter saw that we are willing to do what is neccesary to keep her heart.

9. Lawanda says

1. I would yell less. 🙁

2. Honestly, it is my uncertainty about whether I am doing it right, most of the time…

3. Not recently, but a long time ago, when my older two were babies, I decided I was going to spend more time being WITH them. I had got to the point where I would leave them in another room to play. They became more rowdy. Until I finally figured out it was because I was not spending any time WITH them. You know what I mean? I was with them, but not WITH them. And they reacted to it negatively.

I think that is why I really loved that “raising godly tomatoes” website. Because I can relate to the “tomato staking” so much! 🙂

10. Tara says

1. If I could change anything about the way I parent it would be my energy level- I just wish I could run and play with my kids more.

2. The greatest obstacle for me is my health issues.

3. I am in the process of overcoming post partum depression through medication, family support, blogging and Jesus!

11. beckyboop says

1. If you could change anything about the way that you parent what would it be.

Hmmm. I would want to be more patient, more forgiving, and more loving in all my words, tones and gestures.

My temper. I find myself constantly fighting to NOT parent the way I was raised with yelling and belittling all the time. It’s a daily struggle to keep that mean mommy locked away. I was raised with her out and about all the time, sadly.

My time spent online has been drastically cut back, and it definitely a blessing to my life overall, not just parenting. 🙂