Double Dose

One of the greatest habits that I have cultivated in myself and my children is the discipline to clean up the kitchen promptly after each meal. What makes this task easier is our clean-as-you-go method. We wipe up spills and put away as much as we can in the process of cooking. At the end of the meal all that is left to do is set up a sink full of all hot soapy water and wash everything.

While we sweep the floors and wipe the tables the dishes dry in the dish rack. After sweeping and wiping the tables we put away the dishes and dish rack. The sinks are wiped out and the clothes are hung to dry. Below are some shots of our before and after breakfast dishes.

The basket by my sink is an old Easter basket that I removed the handles from. It’s filled with rolled dish clothes and towel for easy access. The candle by the sink is there for inspiration. I often light it while doing the dishes. It has a vanilla scent that fills the kitchen. So not only do I end up with a clean kitchen but also one that smells great as well.

The green apple juice container on the sink is home to my very fickle tomato plants. They are the only two who have survived my brown thumb. I keep them there since it is the only window in which they have been able to survive. They encourage me because of their perseverance. Despite my lack of gardening experience they have stuck around. What a blessing it will be if I harvest even one tomato.

What techniques do you use to encourage you in your daily homemaking tasks?

The infamous Reeva has foiled me again 🙂

Yes I shop at Aldi. I am a big fan of Aldi because of their prices and because of their no-frills atmoshpere.

I can go in…get what I need and be out of there in 15-20 minutes. The layout stays the same and so do the prices for the most part.

But you’d know that already.

Thanks for stooping by. I am abuot to head over to your blog.

God Bless.

2. Earthmommy says

I love getting a little glimpse into other peoples’ homes. Hadias, I can tell we both shop at Aldi, I have that same brand of dish soap sitting on my sink too! ; )

3. Elizabeth says

I like the idea of having a basket on the counter with handy dishcloths and towels. I go through lots of dishcloths and towels, and they overfill the drawer I have set aside for them, plus hot pads, etc. I’d love to hear suggestions for how many cloths people think are necessary to keep, as well as how to store them.

4. ames says

Ooh, I need a nice smelling candle for my kitchen, sounds lovely!

Cleaning as you go is definitely the way to do it, but I also try to clean up the kitchen to encourage cooking. No one wants to cook in a dirty kitchen, but a clean one can be inspirational!

5. Carrie says

Great work! Yesterday was my dishes day too (first time I’ve done them since I had my babe last weekend – I think every dish in our entire house was dirty!)

I love the idea of the basket w/ the rolled up dish clothes – it looks adorable and so handy!

6. ttelroc says

Dishes!! One of my favorite topics. I love to do dishes. I handwash all of mine, even though I have a dishwasher. One of my WFMW posts was about filling up the sink while making dinner.

I love that you took pictures of your sink area – thanks so much!

Keeping the kitchen clean in my opinion, makes for a happy happy household.

Have a great day!

7. Lawanda says

Your kitchen sink looks PRETTY! 🙂

I have 2 questions for you. Do you have a dishwasher? and What do you do with your dish drainer when you are finished? Since it is gone in the last couple pics. 🙂