Menu Plan Monday

We are tightening our budget this month due to the constant rise in gas and food prices. Anyone who reads my blog knows that my husband is an independant contractor. What he does for a living is akin to what a trucker does……he drives. Only he doesn’t drive a truck he drives our family mini-van.

He has a regular route that requires that he make some stops in town and then drive two hours to our neighboring state. Since my husband get paid by the mile this has always been a lucrative profession for him.

But with the recent and consistant rises in gas prices it’s becoming almost detrimental for him to continuing being a driver. We are spending about $50.00 a day in gas. This is double what we were paying per day this same time last year. The high gas prices are costing us an extra $125.00 per week which totals $500.00 per month more in gas than last year.

We live a very frugal and simple lifestyle as you all know but these rising prices are getting ridiculous. In additoin I am also finding it difficult to find deals at the grocery stores. I shop Aldi for many of my staple items because the prices can’t be beat unless their is a spectacular sale at one of my local grocers, but I haven’t seen any of those for a while now.

But, this is not the first time that we have had to tighten our belts so I want to encourage those who are also experiencing the squeeze of the rise in prices.

Below I am going to post my menu along with my grocery list and costs. If you are interested in any of these frugal recipes feel free to leave me a comment and I will post them for you.

Rice 6 lbs. $2.40

*Split Pea Soup w/rice
*Spanish Rice

Hubby’s lunch:
*22 wingettes cut from the 5 whole chicken’s:
3 lunches (BBQ’d, Terryaki & hot wings) 7 wings per lunch
*2 lunches of Turkey and cheese sandwiches
*choice of snack from below and a smoothie each day

*BBQ’d Meat Loaf, Steamed Rice and Kidney Beans
*Spicy Chicken, Steamed Rice and Refried Beans
*Crispy Chicken, Steamed Rice Black Eyed Peas,Gravy and Corn Bread
*Sweet and Sour Chicken, Steamed Rice Sweet Corn
*Asian Pan Fried Chicken, Steamed Rice and Green Beans

Snacks & Baked Goods
*Chocolate Pudding
*Vanilla Pudding
*Corn Bread
*4 loaves of homemade bread (2 white and 2 wheat)
*Homemade Oatmeal Peanut Butter Cookies
*Mint Thin Cookies

*Apple Juice
*Iced Tea
*Hot Tea

Visit Make Ahead Breakfast Time Savers for my breakfast recipes.

Visit the folowing sites for thrifty easy to prepare meals

Low Cost Emergency Menu

1. Christian Wife says

Wow, I wish I was as organized when it comes to grocery shopping. I’ll get it together one day. We shop at Safeway. I know it’s a regional thing but lately they’ve been having TONS of buy one, get one free specials so that’s my store for now.

Crystal…I do buy fresh produce mostly from Aldi. I can’t beat the prices.

We regularly purchase carrots, cob corn, cabbage, potatoes, greenbeans, yams and bell peppers.

We buy squash, bagged salad and cucmbers from time to time.

We buy canned tomatoes since most of my recipes call for stewed tomamtoes.

I didn’t need to buy any veggies this week because I had frozen carrots, celery and bell peppers already.

Freezing half on my fresh veggies has kept a tiny stash in the freezer along with my store bought frozen and canned veggies.

3. Crystal says

I’m impressed with your grocery budget for 6 as well! There are only 3 of us (one being a 2YO) and I’ve gotten our grocery budget down between 60-80 a week. We don’t have many discount groceries in our area. I actually live about 30 minutes from ANY decent grocery stores. There is a small one about 10 minutes from my house but the prices are outrageous. Do you buy much fresh produce? I buy a good amount of fresh fruit and occasionally fresh veggies (on sale). I just wonder if that makes a difference? I don’t make my own bread either, frankly because I’m afraid of bread making!
    Oh and my hubby would LOVE the wing lunches! He’s a HUGE wing fan! I’ve only made homemade hot wings once!

4. Kate says

wow! I wish I could spend that little! Our groceries here in the DC, MD area are ridiculous! I am now spending almost $200 a week on groceries!! Thanks for stopping by my blog:)

5. Stephanie@AHighandNobleCalling says

Thank you for sharing. I am working on getting our budget down. $60 a week would be heavenly but I am thinking $85 may be more practical. Have a great week!

Stephanie our weekly budget is $60.00 for our family. This week because of the deal on whole chickens and the fact that I shop at ALdi I was able to spend so little.

Also I have been buying the same basic ingredients every week for two years, so I have hundreds of variations in my mind of recipes that I can make without us getting to tired of any one thing.

So part of it is the sales and deals from this week and part was because I cooked basically the same meat all week just with different themes. The meat really takes a chunk out of our budget if we cannot get a sale.

Fidning that chicken at .49 a lb. saved me .20 per lb this week. I purchased around 30 lbs. of chicken and saved $6.00.

I happen to live in the southern part of the United States.

7. Stephanie@AHighandNobleCalling says

I am impressed that you can feed your family for so little. Is this your budget every week? I have some weeks that I can do this and others I cannot, depending on sales and deals.

Just out of curiosity, what part of the country do you live in? I am in New England, which is a very expensive part from what I am told!