Rest for the Weary

Isaiah 28:12 To whom he said, This is the rest wherewith ye may cause the weary to rest; and this is the refreshing: yet they would not hear.

Yesterday after driving my children to school I came home and did the first thing on my to-do list, which was:

~get some rest

Do you ever schedule rest for yourself? If not, you may be in danger of bringing more harm to your family than good. Lack of rest can cause irritation, depression and bitterness. When we don’t get the rest that our mind, body and souls need we are not able to operate at our full potential.

How many things have been left undone at the expense of trying to do it all without taking time to rest? We make ourselves feel guilty if we take a nap in the middle of the day. We judge ourselves for resting instead of dusting or sweeping.

There will always be some housekeeping that needs to be done. Your physical and spiritual health and well being is more important than your ability to stay busy.

We all remember the story of Mary and Martha….

Now it came to pass, as they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.

And she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus’ feet, and heard his word.

But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me.

And Jesus answered and said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:

But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her.
Luke 10:38-42

Busyness is not an indication of success as a homemaker. Learning how to balance between work and rest is a principle that is demonstrated by God from the beginning of time (Genesis 2:2-3). Begin to schedule rest into your week. Embrace the time when you are able to be still.

No computers!
No schooling!
No homemaking!
No busyness!

You will emerge refreshed and ready to be your best self. May God bless your day and all that you set your hand To-Do.

1. fatiah says

The message is for me too. I’m always too busy to rest and lousy at managing my time and find myself working and being busy every moment of my waking hours. Thanks for the reminder.

The owner of Power Up Love has a beautiful website where you can post testimonies and aslo read the testimonies of others. Thanks for leaving your a link to your blog.

P.S. Elizabeth I think that I too believe that you’d increase your energey and use your work time more efficiently, by scheduling rest time. Thanks for stopping by.

3. Elizabeth says

P.S. I make sure I have time with God and time for exercise, but I don’t schedule enough times to have rest and recreation. However, my body needs more rest now that I am getting older and facing some health issues. So, what happens is that I drag along, not using my time effectively and even being lazy due to fatigue. If I were to be more realistic in scheduling rest times, I think I’d increase my energey and use my work time more efficiently.

I am so encouraged by all of your kind comments. I am encouraged along with you all. What I write I don’t always practice fully. I too feel guilty for resting at times, but I am working on that. I am learning that there is a time for everything…even rest.

Have a blessed weekend.

5. Earthmommy says

I felt like this message was speaking directly to me today! Thank you so much, this was a much needed reminder to me. I’ve been trying to be everything to everyone this week and I’m worn out. I am going to take it easy!

Yes, you do need to obey that need for rest. My husband said just the other night that he was surprised to see me sit down & watch television….and do nothing else! I usually have some knitting in my hands, & I do like to work on things while enjoying a movie, but that night, it felt good to JUST SIT. I felt a bit lazy, but hey!….nothing bad happened as a result. :o)

7. ~ Angi :) says

One of the most spiritual things we can do, too! It is a physical representation of entering into the rest of our faith. Trusting that God’s promises to us are true, and not fretting.

Faith is being sure of what we hope for . . .and confident of what we do not see!

8. Bridget says

You are so right about rest. I work nights so sometimes i am even too tired to pick up my Bible! Everyone suffers when you don’t get enough rest. Especially your spiritual walk.

9. Deb Burton says

I am terrible about scheduling a day or an afternoon for relaxing and enjoying some ‘me’ time, thinking that that’s what the weekend is for. Except that my weekends are just as busy! I do try to go to bed by 10pm at the latest, allowing myself time to read before shut-eye, but even that lately has been lost to the computer, my blog, networking, etc.

Just found your site; looks lovely.