I shared with you earlier this week the purpose of this cute little coupon organizer. Well today I am going to show you how I prepare for my grocery shopping trip.
Keep in mind that there is no one way to organize and prepare for a shopping trip. Of the many ideas available…you should pick and choose which techniques will make coupon~ing easiest for you.
On the top half of my organizer I have (8) horizontal slots. Each slot is designated for a particular store. The store loyalty card inside of each slot indicates what stores coupons will go into which slot. The first slot in my organizer that has no loyalty card is my Publix slot.
The (2) larger horizontal pouches below the (8) smaller store slots are used to hold coupons that I will use on my next shopping trip, but are not store specific. These would be coupons such as the Johnson & Johnson coupon that allows me to get free soap.
The 2 larger slots on the very bottom are for coupons that I get while shopping (peelies, blinkies, tearpads or catalinas), coupons I get in the mail or from magazines. They are placed in the (2) bottom slots until I get a chance to file them. Food items are on the right and all other are on the left.
- Coupon Binder
- Inserts in Accordian File
- Sheet of Paper or Word Document
- Magazines (w/unclipped coupons)
Once I have all of my resources I log onto my webpage and click on the deals link. This link can be found directly above my first article or on the leftside of the page.
3. Locate the coupon using the coupon locator code that looks like this
(this means March 22nd Red Plum insert which is found in the Sunday newpaper)
(Just becuase you may have 10 coupons doesn’t mean that you must buy 10 items)
6. Continue this process until you have all of your coupons for the items on your list.
7. If you have multiples of a coupon, say 3 or more, then take the like sheet and stack. Now staple the coupons together making sure not to staple through bar codes or expiration date. Over the picture is fine. Do this for all mulitples.
8. Now begin clipping all of your coupons. I pay my 8 year old a small % for this job after he has demonstrated (using expired coupons) that he will be careful not to cut off exp. dates or barcodes.
::see coupon policies::
10. Take all of your coupons and your list and put them into any envelope and write the name of the grocery store on the outside. Take this with you when you go shopping. Do the same for every store that you plan to shop at.
1 thought on “Preparing to Shop:Gathering Coupons”
Very nice detailed explanation with pictures to boot. I’m saving this to share with others when they ask me “How to do it?”