HomeMaking (Repost from 9/07)

Do you get the itch?…You know…the itch. The itch is the small nagging voice in your head that begins to tell you “Working out side of the home would be so much better.” If so, What compels you to entertain these thoughts? Is it financial strain? Or could it be boredom? Are you feeling that maybe you are not fit to be a SAHM?
Each person must make the decision for themselves…but as long as my children are not adults I will be at home. If I decide to return to work this list will be somewhat of a checklist of requirements that must be fulfilled prior to returning to work. As you all know I am reading many books pertaining to “Homemaking” being a business…and I am learning more and more about homemaking everyday. I enjoy keeping my home organized which has led me into mentoring young ladies and wives on the proper care of the home. Below is a list.
1. Do you have a morning routine in the house?
2. Are your dishes washed and put away?
3. Is your cabinet top clear?
4. Is your table clear, when not dining, and do you have a centerpiece?
5. Have you cleaned your cupboards and storage areas and fridge in the last 3 months?
6. Is your porch clean and the entry way cheerful for visitors or people who see it from the road?
7. Are your carpets clean?
8. Is your floor clean?
9. Is your living room ready for company?
10. Is your laundry washed, folded, ironed and put away? (Keep in mind, I am not saying you have to do this. I am only listing it in case you think you have time to bring in another income!)
11. Is your mending and button replacement caught up?
12. Do you bake bread? (Once again, no one HAS to do it, but if a woman is bored, maybe she should bake her bread. It takes more time. It smells wonderful. It has far greater effects than can be listed here, both emotionally and physically or even involving childhood memory)
13. Is your bathroom shining clean and does it smell nice?
14. Does your house smell nice?
15. Have you re-decorated or re-arranged in the last 3 years? (You need not do it, but if you think you need to go to work or take on extra work earning money at home, why not put the time into re-beautifying your house?)
16. Are your beds made? Are your sheets and bedding fresh?
17. Do you hang your clothes on the line? (You needn’t, but it takes more time, and is good for your health and it actually increases the life of your sheets and clothes, as opposed to the dryer)
18. Do you grow a garden, or even a tomato in a pot?
19. Are your drawers and storage areas organized?
20. Are your photos organized?
21. Are your computer files organized?
22. Is your correspondence caught up?
23. Do you make any of your own clothes?
24. Does your husband ever have to ask for an ironed shirt?
25. Are your books organized?
26. Do you go through your things regularly for garage sales?
27. Are your windows clean?
28. Do you cook regular meals from basic ingredients?
29. Have you had anyone over for tea or dinner in the last month?
30. Do you read at least one good book or learn something new within the year?

11 comments

1. Hadias says:

You are so funny Shannon. I can relate to chaos-in-motion, which is one of the reason I began this blog.

It has allowed me to organize my life and regain my sanity. I keep a copy of this list in my Home Making Binder. It helps me stay on course. I am so glad that you stopped by.

2. Shannon says:

Makes me kind of wonder what the heck I’ve been doing in my decade+ at home. LOL! I read the whole list and answered “Ahh…nope!” to nearly all of them. Several children ago I was Flyladying and could have answered yes-but we are in more of a chaos-in-motion season of our lives right now. Of course other than true financial necessity I wouldn’t want to work outside my home-which I guess is a good thing, because my resume at home is apparently pretty spotty. LOL!

Thanks for the list- I am going to pick one or two of those and make them my goal for the rest of the month.

3. Country Girl At Heart says:

Thanks for commenting Blessedmamma752. Feel free to add your suggestions to the list. Every women’s list is going to be different. This is simply something to get you thinking. Thanks again for your feedback.

4. blessedmama752 says:

Great list I can add a few things, but I won’t because you did a beautiful job. I chose to stay at home when we were blessed with our third child, and it has been a blessing, with an added four more. Yes you have challenging days, but with God on your side you can make it. The comment you stated in your comments “I simply live a life that please God.” In by living a life to please God, your living in His will. God bless you. You are a great inspiration. Great scriptures read them all the time.

5. Country Girl At Heart says:

Thank you all for commenting. I dare not judge anyones heart. I simply live a life that pleases God.Nowhere in the Bible will you find this list but what you will find is Gods plan for the wife.
    His plan is for the wife is to be “keepers of the home”. Begin by reading Titus 2 and Proverbs 31 and let the Holy Spirit be your guide. Let us not be confromed to this worlds standards but, be transformed by the renewing of our minds by the reading of His Word.

6. florinn says:

This is nothing like the list I had when I went back to work last year, even though the answer to most of these questions (and I don’t iron anyway because I hate it) is yes. My decision was based on what was right for my family, including for me. It had nothing to do with money whatsoever, and working brought many blessings into my life including some friends I would never trade.

7. Becky says:

Hmmm…I am not sure if I agree with the statement that sometimes husbands aren’t the best leaders financially. I am sure there are some cases where that is definitely true, but I think the bigger issue is a society that has devalued the SAHM and has literally forced women into the workplace to make ends meet. We live in a society where the two income trap is almost unavoidable. My husband works incredibly hard and we still don’t make ends meet. We just sacrifice what we can to do it. If it were not for my MIL needing us to live with her to help her make ends meet, we would not have a home. But God provides when we obey Him.

Thought provoking post!

8. Country Girl At Heart says:

Sallie–

Thank you for commenting on my “Homemaking” post. Isn’t it awesome how God still speaks to us today in the subtlest ways. If only we would listen. Often times we are looking for the clouds to part and for God to send down His angels to lead and guide us. I so admire your relationship that you have with the Lord. If no one has ever told you, I want you to know that your family is truly blessed.

God Bless,
    Hadias

9. Sallie says:

I love the list.. it lays it all there to see and think about. I know for sure God does not want me to work because the most recent times I have considered it, ie was looking in paper at classifieds, or thought went through my head that I should look for part time work, the phone rang and it was my autistic son needing me right away at school or another child was sick. I don’t believe in coincidences so I know God specifically told me immediately that my job is my children.

God bless,
    Sallie

10. Lawanda says:

Well, in my case, I have to go to work to keep the electricity running, and the gas, and the water….or to keep from losing my house, if you wanna look at it that way. I don’t have enough money for both utilities and house payment.

Sometimes husbands aren’t the best “leaders” in this area (financial) and you can’t just let everything get shut off or taken away! ;)

I have been a stay at home mom for 12 years. I worked as a Lactation Consultant for a year with only minimal hours (and took the baby with me) when Raechel was small and my kids were in school.

I did that because I was at the tail end of a mid life crisis. (Read: boredom – if you will.)

Now, that is a great list, but I have never been able to do ALL of that ALL the time, that is for sure. Even when I have been “at home”. Especially #29, with my anti-social dh. ;) (He is a good man, but he has his faults.)

Thanks for the list, though. It is helpful.