Hard to Clean Bathtubs & Showers

I like to be as transparent as possible when sharing my cleaning routine with you all. I share the GOOD, the BAD and the UGLY with out shame. I have shared my bathtub in a previous post and explained how I’ve tried getting these objectionable stains out of my tubs and showers. I’ve used Bleach, Ajax, Comet, Liquid Comet with Bleach, Fantastick, Lysol Bathroom Cleaner, CLR, toothbrushes, bowl brushes, scrub brushes, S.O.S, plastic scrubby pads and metal scrubby pads and nothing has worked.

I clean my bathtubs and showers twice a week but, as a result of some idiotic grooves implemented in the design of the floors of my tubs, I have never been able rid myself of the stains…….UNTIL NOW!!

My husband often gives me the “wrap it up” signal where he winds his fist in a peddling motion, to alert me that I am getting long winded. However, I am so happy about this epiphany that I must share the long story. While cleaning the shower this morning I looked closely at the grooves to try and discern why my cleaning tools were not penetrating the grooves. What was I doing wrong?

I began using my fingernail which always seemed to dislodge some grime, but I don’t find that much joy in homemaking to clean (3) tubs twice a week with my thumb nail. Then suddenly the light bulb came on as it often does, which is what spurred me to try all of those products that I listed above. I called my 7 year old daughter and said “bring me some toothpicks”. She come running back with one toothpick.

I begin scrapping the grooves…and nothing. The wooden toothpick was too soft and didn’t disturb a single grain of dirt. And then the stadium lights came on. I remembered that I had a metal brush that I bought for cleaning the grill.

I tested out a small spot to be sure that the metal bristles would not take the paint finish off. First, I applied some Soft Scrub and proceeded to scrub in a small circular motion for about 3 seconds and rinsed with water.

The spot was WHITE AS SNOW!!

With out further ado I present to you the GOOD, the BAD and the UGLY.

(halfway there)

(I almost want to weep with joy)

I had broke out into a sweat scrubbing these tubs and showers. I scrubbed so hard that my bi-cep and wrist hurt when I was done. The metal bristles didn’t even leave a scratch and they are sharp enough to prick the skin.

I could not believe it. I was so happy you guys. You would have thought it was my birthday. These is the types of Homemaking milestones that can outweigh a job promotion any day.

When my husband saw the tubs he said “That’s the cleanest I’ve seen them since we moved in“. I agreed.

The seven year curse of the objectionable tub is finally broken. Let us rejoice.

This post is proudly shared at “I am Blissfully Domestic“, “5 Minutes for Mom” and “The Lazy Organizer

1. UnfinishedMom says

I am right there with you. I've got those funky grooves in my tub too. But mine is grey so it doesn't show as much dirt. I also use a brush to clean my tub. When I scrub I scrub in 4 directions on the same area – vertical, horizontal and diagonal both ways. It's the only way to get it clean!

2. The Proverbs Wife says

Thanks Amy. I am glad that I finally found a solution. Thanks for your feedback on the new layout. I like the colors and the simplicity of the new layout. I hope that it is easier to navigate.

3. The Proverbs Wife says

I have had the same thing happen to me EOS. My husband would assume that I had not done a weekly cleaning since I could not remove the stains. I am overjoyed now and so is he.

I'd love to hear if the brush works for you.

4. The Proverbs Wife says

deLa, I thought you stopped blogging. I visited your site a few times and did not see any updates, now I know why. Congrats on your pregnancy. Let me know if the brush works for you.

5. Eos Mom says

Oh my goodness, you have just saved my shower!!!! Bless you for sharing this wonderful tip–my shower has that same scum-grabbing texture and I CANNOT get it clean (and so rarely bother trying). I am going to buy a grill scrubber and Soft Scrub and Get To Work. Thanks so much! (And my husband thanks you too, he's always asking when I'm going to clean the shower!)

6. Shona Christine says

Wow – that's impressive!!! So glad you were able to triumph over the grimy tubs!

Makes you wonder what the bathtub makers were thinking when they designed your tub – maybe you should send them your before pictures.

I also like the correlation that Margery drew with our spiritual lives.

7. Jennifer says

Woo hoo!!!

Look at that beautiful clean tub! I know what you mean about that texture on the bottom of the tubs. Mine have it too and it drives me CRAZY! I will have to try your grill brush trick.

Thank you for sharing this. 🙂

8. deLa says

that IS amazing!!! my husband works under houses (killing termites) and comes home filthy. our shower is always dirty and nothing would clean fully, until recently i tried a new scrubbing bubbles cleaner. some kind of foam. now granted i used almost the entire can… but the shower needed it for that first deep down cleaning. i will try out your metal brush technique. i just use a regular old plastic bristle brush and elbow grease, but at 5 months pregnant that whole elbow grease down on your knees things is getting old. THANK YOU for sharing!

9. Tiffany says

Thanks for posting this. We have stupid little bumpies in the bottom of the tub that I can never get really clean. I may have to try that brush. We have 2 for the grill.

10. The Proverbs Wife says

You are so right Margery. What shocked me was that a tool so strong and sharp was necessary.

I never thought to use it for fear that it would scratch the paint finish.

Often time we fear what God is allowing us to go through for fear that it will hurt; never knowing that the very tool (trial) we fear is the one necessary for our growth.

God is so amazing in His power. One of the greatest gift of being a Keeper at Home, is the ability to see God in our day-to-day lives, and freely express the joy we get from serving Him.

11. Margery says

I think sometimes God gives us these little trials in our lives to illustrate some of His spiritual truths. Just as all your other strenuous methods for removing the stain from your tub failed, it took something with greater power to remove the stain. Just as we cannot remove the sin from our own lives, we need the power of God in us! "Though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." (Not that your tub was scarlet, but you know what I mean.)

So glad you had this nice victory in your tub!