Having trouble keeping your whites white? Here are 6 steps to brightening your whites.
- Fill the washer with HOT water.
- Add laundry detergent and bleach
- Add white clothes to washer, making sure to pre-treat any visible stains.
- Let the clothes agitate for for 2 minutes and then shut off the washing machine. After this step I also unplug my washer.
- Allow clothes to soak for two hours or overnight.
- Turn on washer an allow clothes to run the rest of the cycle.
This is how I wash my white clothes. If I am washing multiple loads of clothes I wash the white clothes last.
On some days I complete steps #1 – #5 before going to bed and start the washer first thing in the morning.
6 thoughts on “Laundry 101: Keeping White Clothes White”
I would think having clothing sit in bleach for long periods of time would eventually break down the clothing after a few times. Bleach will eat your items up after long periods of time.
The Proverbs Wife Reply:
October 1st, 2012 at
I’ve never had a problem with it Rena. I don’t believe the bleach we use today is not as strong as the one I remember from growing up.
Hi, I love this. We actually about same entry, mine just after the laundry and the process. 🙂 And I was brought into your pre-treat post before commenting in here. My husband also likes to bring his work shirt suit to laundry cleaners and I don’t like the idea because I like to wash it myself aside from the cost is expensive. 🙂 Thanks for sharing this. Here’s My Works-For-Me-Wednesday — Laundry Tip by the way. Have a great Wednesday! ~hugs&kisses~
That sounds good but being on a septic system we use bleach very sparingly. I also have a front loading washer so this is not as easy to do.
I will definitely have to try this! I get so frustrated trying to keep my clothes white. Thanks for the tip!