6 Reasons to Wake Up Early

1. Time to Pursue God: I get to spend quiet quality time alone with the Lord. I use this time to pray, read my bible, talk to the Lord and receive instruction and encouragement. After taking this time alone I feel calm and ready for the day.

2. Begin Dinner Prep: Getting a jump start on preparing for dinner makes dinner time so much more manageable when 5’oclock rolls around. I choose at least one thing that can be done from my dinner to-do’s.

If dry beans are on the menu, I let them soak overnight. This way all I do is drain off the water and pop them in the crock pot in the morning. I also defrost meat in the freezer overnight and season it in the morning. Making a habit of doing at least one thing in advance makes life easier at dinnertime.

3. Quiet Time to Plan your Day: Planning my day give me direction and a measurable set of goals. Having a plan allows me to manage my home and care for it effectively.

I use this time to schedule not only my responsibilities, but to also organize skill building chores for my children.

4. Get Started on Home Keeping Tasks: I like to begin homemaking tasks early in the day, rather than cleaning in the evening when I could be resting and relaxing with my family.

My husband once told me that as a stay at home wife, I was my own boss. He also said that if I am still working in the evening when the rest of the family is relaxing then I need to fire myself. Planning my day, getting started early and setting a quitting time helps me to keep a cheerful disposition.

5. Make Breakfast for my Family: When my children were younger I made their entire breakfast for them daily. Now that they are getting older, they each take part in preparing our breakfast recipes.

I am training them to manage the kitchen by guiding them and and instructing them on how to work together. Our children will remember the things that we do for them and with them. Meal preparation is a very important bonding time for our family.

6. Personal Grooming Time for Myself: This is one of the tasks that is beneficial to myself and my husband. Taking the time to get dressed, style my hair and put on makeup really makes my husband feel special.

When I initially made a commitment to get dressed each day— as if I were going to be leaving the house, my family would look at me strangely. They’d ask “Mommy are you going somewhere?”.

They had gotten so accustomed to me wearing PJ’s or sweatpants and uncombed hair that they were puzzled by the change. After some time, not only did they respond well to this change in my morning routine, but I began to feel better about myself. I would smile throughout the day when I would catch glimpses of myself in the mirror throughout the house.

These are just a few beneficial reasons for getting up a little earlier than the rest of the family.

If you are struggling with your daily routine and feeling overwhelmed, I’d like to pray for you. In addition, if you have some encouraging words or inspiring advice other wives and moms, leave your comment below.

Comments

1. Lisa says

Thank you for your post. I struggle with getting up before noon and hardly ever am actually able to get up and stay up. This leads to horrible housekeeping and my marriage suffers because of it. I have severe insomnia that started when I was a teen. Please pray that God helps me to accomplish the goal of getting up earlier everyday and that I will be a better wife and mother. Thank you

2. Angela Maddox says

Please Pray for me because it has been in my spirit for a couple of months now that I neef to do this. However, I am not getting to bed until 11p and 12a, and plus have a 2 yr and 7 mos old who both still do not sleep thru the night! I’m exhausted most times even as a stay home mom and really didn’t thinl staying home would be this way. My family which consist of 4 children and my husband live and breathe me so I rarely if ever get any alone time. I would have to get up at 4am and that would mean only 4 hrs of sleep or less if the girls wake up in the middle of the night. I am already not a morning person but something has to change because my relationship with God is definitely suffering.

3. Madamedoizan says

Thank you for this! I am childless, but I am a full-time student and part-time worker and the motivation to wear pajamas and sweats is much stronger than anything…

4. Shae says

Thank you for this! Today is my start of waking up early. I work outside of the home but for the past two years I have been a stay at home mom. With both of my boys starting child care and peeschool it’s been a little difficult transitioning. You have given me ideas how to better organize my time and still having God time first. Thank-you!

5. jane says

I definitely struggle with this. I will do it for a month or so then fall back into my old ways. I am so guilty of doing laundry or mopping and cleaning at night because I was so unorganized throughout the day and jumped from one thing to another without having a plan. I do notice my day flows better physically and emotionally when I have set plans and goals. Thank God He sent this message to you to share with us and I thank you for offering to pray for those of us who have not yet surrendered to these tasks

6. Nada says

I struggle daily with my schedule. I am a mom of 3, wife to a husband who works long hours, and a nursing student. Prayer would be great!

7. Alicia says

praying for you Angel,
    Father God,
    Please shine your loving light on Angel and allow her to feel your love and power.
    Amen~

8. Jennifer Holder says

Hi my name is Jennifer and I worked full time for 14 years. 9 months ago I had my 3rd child and my husband and I decided I should stay home full time. To be honest, I am struggling. I feel a little lost on my role in the house. I used to get up everyday and dress up and I find myself pulling my hair back everyday and not putting on makeup. Don’t get me wrong, I love being home with my boys but need prayer for guidance and direction. Thank you!

9. Hannah Serrano says

This is a wonderful article….so true on all points! I definitely have to work on this area in my life. It’s getting better, but there’s lots of room for improvement 🙂 Thank you for the reminder!

10. says

Love these reasons! I usually have my devotional/planning time while the kids are down for a nap. That usually means that if I didn’t get myself on the right track when I first woke up, I won’t be on it until early afternoon :S. I’m also not an early riser, but my husband likes to be up early and to bed early. Since I’m the night owl, I usually stay up with the kids who don’t want to go to sleep (1-year-old, 2-year-old and 7-year-old, there’s always one resisting bed), while he gets up with them in the morning. He’s the stay-at-home, and I’m the work-at-home, so it’s way too easy to blur the work/life balance. In fact, here I am at 1:00am getting ready to get back to paid work for a couple more hours. He’s told me that he likes the early morning for his own contemplation and planning, so I don’t feel too bad getting up later. However, I like your point about taking time to look nice every day. My morning usually involves donning a baggy T-shirt and sweats, throwing in some hair sticks, and grabbing some coffee while I boot up the computer for work and take the dogs out. He has never expressed a preference for my appearance, but I think that’s definitely something to spend a little time on and see what reactions come out of it 🙂

11. anonomous says

Thank you for posting this. I’m not a sahm, but I’m feeling down in the dumps lately. Your posts are always inspiring. Thank you.

12. mary says

Our daughter is one and i am almost 6molike pregnant. My husband leaves for work at 5:45 so i usually get up at 5:15 to pack his lunch and make him breakfast. He works long hours so he gets home by 6 or 7 so if i want any time w jom o have to stay up past 9. This makes it incredibly difficult to wake up the next day. I am thankful that i can be at home w our daughter, but it also feels like my day goes by so fast that all i seem to get done are the dishes some light housework and dinner…please pray i get our house in order i want it to be a place of peace for him when he comes home. Thanks

13. says

Oh wow…So sorry for all the mistakes. I’m on my kindle and it puts words in while I’m typing lol. I hope you can understand it. I also wanted to add that I think I need more time alone with the Lord, praying, reading etc. At dinner time I read devotionals with my kids and we talk about them afterwards but I rarely so anything just for myself. This post is making me want to seriously reevaluate my daily schedule and priorities. Thank you again.

14. says

I love this.But I have to admit that I am not Morning person I have five children (8,6,5,3,8 mos)and I find it easier to do housework date they go to bed. I guess I have. Jar Time keeping the house clean during the day so I tell myself I will do it at night which I hate because I really would like to be relaxing instead. My husband gets home at 11:30pm and he wants to wind down and watch tv so I try to stay up with him usually until 1am. Another thing I hate doing. I get up and get our kids ready for school and lounge around because I’m usually exhausted from my lack of sleep.(I don’t sleep well either). I’m usually in pajamas all day miles I go somewhere too. I would love to try to do these things though in the mornings. After I get my big kids to the bus and before my little ones wake up. I could really use some prayers for this because I have been struggling with just an all around routine an organization in my house. I’m tired and stressed and I think this could help me out. Thank you for your post.

15. Irene says

I am a homeschool mom of 2 children 5 and 6 years old.
    I agree whole hearted my on getting up early, however I really struggle because my 6 year old is not a sleeper. I’ll awake at 4:00am and tip toe through the house. ( mind you he has music playing in his room to hide noises) but if he hears or feels my foot steps on the floor he is awake and, while he will go back to his room, he usually comes back out every 15 min or so to see if I’m “done yet” or if I’ll fix him breakfast because he’s “so hungry”.
    Any suggestions?

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Irene, No solutions 🙂 Life is what it is and parenting is what it is. With a child so young who likes to wake up early and spend time with you I’d keep my quiet time to whatever he can tolerate. If he can only tolerate 15 minutes in his room while you pray or read your Bible, only devote 15 minutes. With God it’s not so much about the amount of time but the willingness to spend time with him. Your son is the same way with you in the morning as God wants us to be with Him. Eager to see Him and spend time with Him. In fact, He wants us to come to Him as hungry as your son is. He wants us to be famished for His presence and His word. I hope this gives you some perspective and encouragement.

Tersa Reply:

@The Proverbs Wife I love your reply but also think if he is hungry for breakfast at 6am maybe he needs a bedtime snack like an apple before bed to keep his tummy happy. apples are ok to eat after the teeth are brushed because the enzymes counteract the natural sugars and teeth will stay just as clean as after he brushed his teeth just ask a dentist to be sure.

Mommieto3 Reply:

@Tersa,
    I am also a homeschool mom (of three actually), ages 5, 7, and 13 years old. I think one of the benefits of being a homeschool mom is actually making your own schedule and not waking up to an alarm clock. Spending quality time with God and your family is important…but you need to decide what is right for you and your family. If you want to praise God in the morning…then praise God in the morning…if evenings after the children go to bed works better, than do that instead. Homeschool is tough, to fit everything in, but you can do this Mama! And glorify God in the process! Seek God and find out what works for you and YOUR FAMILY!!!

Inger-Lisa Reply:

@Tersa, Good to know!

16. Angel Estep says

I so need prayer. I am a mom of three ages 9 6 and 7 months. I feel very overwhelmed, we have outgrown our house and I feel like im going to have a melt down! Please I would appreciate all the prayers I could get!

17. Vicky says

Please pray that I can organize myself ans my day. I.daily stressed and overwhelmed with all I have to do! Seems like I dont have enough hours in my day to finish my chores. I need to plan my days and use better time management. But above all things I need to spend more time with my Savior in his presence…
    Thank you!

18. Jessica says

I’m a new mom again!!! I have a very very active 2 yr old son and a 3 month old baby girl. I so struggle with getting up in the mornings. I really want to do better. The days I do get up early a d help my hubby out for the day I do feel better. I would love to get up, help him out to get out and then have some quiet time to my self to read and pray but it rarely happens. I’m home all day from sun up to sun down with the kiddies. I love being a stay at home mom but I can’t seem to get on a schedule. My husband is a special Ed teacher, works part time at a retail store and he’s a minister. We are praying that the part time job isn’t a lifetime job and even now it’s just about time for him to go back to school to keep his certification. He wants to go to seminary also!!! How am I going to handle all of that is what I ask myself, not just for me but for all of us. If he’s going to school for certification and for seminary that means when he’s here he really won’t be here because he will be tied up doing school work. So I need to get it together FAST!!! and I don’t know where to start. I’m still getting up at least two times a night with my son and another two times with the little girl. I am praying for myself constantly because I want to get this right and be the wife and mother that my family needs me to be. So I thank The Lord for him laying on your heart to pray for us
    May God continue to bless you and your ministry

19. Alison says

This really hits home with me! I am NOT a morning person and hit my snooze button repeatedly. I know how much my morning would benefit if I would just get up and every night I SWEAR I will do it then when the alarm goes off…different story. I make excuses, hit snooze and before I know it, it’s been an hour and in rushing around yelling at everyone! Please pray for me! I am going to overcome this!!!! Thanks for the post!

20. Vicky Henry says

Hey I’m struggling with getting upon the mornings with 4 kids and an unbelieving husband I find it hard to get quiet time with God I have been wanting to get up early before rest of household so I can steal an hour of quiet to do my readings and devotionals. I pray every night that I will rise early but when morning comes I just can’t do it I need help please 🙂 xx

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Vicky Henry One thing that helps me get up earlier in the morning is by going to bed earlier each night. I’m not sure if all of your children are under 5. If so it may be a little harder in this season of life. When my three youngest were under five, it was hard getting in bed early and up early. If your kids are older consider setting a earlier bedtime for them so that you can get to bed earlier. You could even allow them to stay up granted they don’t disturb you. Getting up early to have quiet time is not set in stone. You can have quiet time with Goad at anytime time of the day that works for your family. I just choose mornings because I love what David says in Psalm 68:1-8. I like to talk to God early in the morning because it sets the tone for the rest of my day. Above all be prayerful that God will help you figure out how to manage your home and create a schedule that would allot for time alone with you. He wants it as much as you do.

21. Anita says

I really enjoy reading your blog posts and I try to incorporate your advice into my daily living.
    This post really stuck out to me as I have such a hard time getting up in the morning I don’t get dressed for the day and I take all day into the night to get things done. Please pray for me that I can apply these 6 tips into my daily living. Thank you!

22. Amanda says

This is a very good article that you posted. I am a wife and a mother of two. I thank God daily for the Agape love that he has given me, but sometimes it seems like it’s not enough. I try to live as the Proverbs 31 wife but it drains me. My husband works offshore(gone for 21 days at a time), I’m full time nursing student, kids are in school and son keeps me busy with after school activities. It is very overwhelming. With all the studying I have to do, trying to keep up with my house, cook dinner, and spend quality time with the family, some areas tend to lack because I am so tired. My average time for settling down is around 11 at night and get at around 4:30-4:45 am every morning for school. I feel like giving up on school cause it had taken away the one I have for my kids and keep my house in order. I get so frustrated at times I don’t want to deal with my family. Please pray for me that God will give me strength and to help me focus on the task at hand. I’m completely drained and burned out.

23. Mindy says

Thanks for this! Quick question: my husband is late nighter and my kids are early risers…if I stay up with him, it is hard for me to wake up early. My toddlers wake up super early…I’m trying to be a night owl for my husband and an early bird for my children, but something has to give! Any advice??

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

That’s a tough spot and I’ve been there. I’d suggest talking to your husband about what you are trying to do and see what he suggests. Here’s what my husband and I did. There were certain nights of the week where we agreed I’d go to bed early and he’d turn the tv down or watch tv in another room. There were nights when I’d stay up late like on weekends. Later in our marriage we came to the conclusion that we should go to bed at the sand time which is what we do now unless one of us just can’t sleep.

24. Michelle says

Please pray for me as I am struggling with keeping my house, having energy, getting up early in the morning, much less earlier than my family. I have always been well groomed, kept my house and been very bubbly. Lately we’ve been struggling financially & moved a long ways from my family. I love my husband and daughter very much bug lately I feel depressed & like they are more of a burden than a blessing. I hate that because I want to have the energy to get my stuff done AND spend time playing with my 3 year old and relaxing with my husband. For about 3 months now I have been in a huge slump & I barely have energy to get out of bed! I’m so overwhelmed with thoughts of the big stuff (finances, my husband finding work…etc) that the smallest thing seems like a mountain to me! I want to be super mom, super wife & super fun to be around again! God please save me from my slump:-/

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

God didn’t make us to carry so much weight. If you don’t take your focus off your problems and place it on God you’ll make this season of your life harder than it has to be. Focus on what brings you joy and not what steals your joy. Your problems will be taken care off by the Father. He is aware of your needs. I am praying for your strength and for your focus to remain fixed on God.

Michelle Reply:

@The Proverbs Wife, thank u so much!! Since I read your list & was able to get into words what my issues r I have been so much better! Before I was just crying out for help but never giving God the chance to help me. I can now focus on what makes me happy & really truley KNOW God will fix this:-). Just really believing it will get better has made my outlook on life much much better!! Thank u for your prayers! Please continue them, as I believe it’s working!!!:-)

25. Carli says

I have been struggling with this for sometime now! I want to be a Proverbs 31 wife/mother/woman in every aspect. I was beginning to wake up around 630, but then my two young sons 🙂 decided that they’d like to make 630 their time to wake up too!! Please pray for me to take the step and make the effort to wake up at least early enough spend time with God and to shower and look nice for the day! Making my husband breakfast most days would be a great plus! Thank you! And if there is any way I can pray for any of you please let me know! God bless 🙂

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Carli,
    My children did the same thing when I committed to waking up earlier to spend time with God. At some point I explained to them what I was doing and that they could do something quiet in their room until I was done with my quiet time or they’d have to stay in bed until a designated time. I’m not sure how old your kids are but it’s good to train them to understand the importance of time with the Lord by including them in helping you serve God.

26. says

Prayers needed here in this area for me as well. I don’t sleep well most nights & am not a morning person. So I struggle even more to get started in the mornings. But on those rare days that I wake up early and make an effort to get going, I’m amazed by what I can accomplish & how much better I feel about myself and the job I’m doing for my family.

Thanks for the reminders & encouragement & for the prayers to rest & be my best for my family.

27. says

This is a good article. In the business world we are told to dress for the position we want to have. The same thing holds true for women who work at home, dress like a cute, desirable, well put together woman and the clothes help you work to meet the requirements of the job.

28. Sarah says

Thank you so much for sharing this, if you would please pray for me with this, I have such a struggle with waking up at the time I’m wanting to which is 5:00am, I have my routine set and printed out but I’ve only ever completed my daily routine or at least started it a couple of times, all of the points you made was what my reasoning behind getting up so early was every single reason hit home with me and yet I’m still having a hard time with it, I’ve laid this area of my life to God and asked for His guidance and power to help me but extra prayers would be wonderful I’m a sahm of 3 little one’s so it is really better for everyone when I can get up early and do things before anyone wakes up, and I also want to be a good wife and make sure my husband can have breakfast every morning made by me instead of him being hungry until lunchtime. Sorry for the long post but prayers are greatly appreciated. Thank You!!

29. says

OUCH! So much of that hit home with me! I am very guilty of still cleaning one thing or another at night and while I am much better at getting dressed in the morning, I still slip and am in sweats all day. My kids do the same thing of asking me where I am going.

Two huge things that I have found is that it really does make such a big difference if you get dressed and make the bed! I have also found that if I really look at my day, I find that a lot of it is just busyness and not productive. I am still terrible about getting up early because I enjoy my quiet nights, but I am working on it.

Thank you so much for the encouragement. God Bless You!

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Monica,

I found the same to be true about getting dressed and making the bed. Once my bed is made, it gives me a sense of finality in regards to sleeping. A made bed tells my brain…sleep time is over. Time for homemaking. The same is true when getting dressed. My daily outfit is like a work uniform for me…only cuter. I get dressed and sometimes put on an apron. The outfit tells my mind what I should be doing which is managing my home. I just thought of this but the same is true when we put thought into what we wear to bed. If we wear something undesirable, it can affect how we feel about receiving and giving affection to our husbands. I used to deal with intimacy issues but through prayer and some changes I’ll probably write about one day, my time with my husband is something I now look forward too. Part of that reason is appearance and how I view myself and also how I believe he views me.

I too realized that a lot of what I was doing at a point was busy work too. Keep working at your daily schedule and praying for God to guide each and every day for you. He’s the perfect scheduler. 🙂

30. Brenda says

Pls pray for me in this area. Having a hard time balancing two young children husband and lastly myself.
    I always look a mess and find myself witn out by 4pm 🙁

Thanx so much
    God Bless

31. Aly says

Thank you for this! I struggle with waking up early, which I attribute mostly to being hypothyroid and having a hard time finding the correct dose of medication to keep me feeling good. So I’m barely able to drag myself out of bed at 8:00 when the rest of my family is waking up. I stay at home with my 2 very young children, work from home, and take online classes. I have a LOT to accomplish each day, and I’m definitely struggling with figuring out how to balance it all. I’ve been setting my alarm for 6:00 and always completely sleep through it. All of this is a constant area of prayer for me! I’m definitely going to take some time to prayerfully figure out how to make my days and nights run more smoothly.

32. Tracy says

Hi there,

I’m trying to weigh out everything, I work from home and find that all of my work,home and personal are so tied into another, I become overwhelmed and the only things that get done are for work and little for home and personal. I’m about to add school into this already stressful situation and I will ask for your encouraging words with this situation.

Thanks,

Tracy

33. Nicole McKinney says

I’m a new SAHM. My LO is 7 mos old. I struggle w/ all of it. Most days I don’t have time to shower & dress. My husband comes home to find me in my pj’s, no dinner made & me on FB. I’m tired all the time & have no motivation. I may throw in a load of wash, but that’s about all. I would REALLY appreciate your prayers!

34. Angela says

I could sure use prayer for organization in mine and my family’s life. I have been praying about this since I recently had to quit my job.
    Thanks so much.

35. venus says

I too struggle with this. I want to get up and do all these things plus workout. I work mornings and I just run out of time. I want to start my day in prayer and reading the Word of God. I thank you for all your post. I too stay up late. Then when its time to go to bed it is just a few hrs before it is time to get back up. I am trying to learn to prep food ahead of time because that is beneficial to my family and me on this weight loss journey.

36. Kina says

This is good. I struggle in this area because lots of times I don’t discipline myself to go to bed on time. When I do go to bed on time (around 9:30pm) my mornings start off so much better. A great morning starts the night before! My kids don’t get up until 8 so when I get up at 6 I’m able to have quiet time, exercise, and do a tad bit of cleaning. I need to tweak my schedule for dinner prep because I’d like for us to have dinner at 6 but we usually end up eating at 7 or 7:30 =(

37. Aimee says

I struggle getting up early..I’m a teacher and by the time I get home from work, I feel I’m spending so much time cleaning house or doing teacher stuff, I don’t spend enought quality time with my son. Thank you for your prayers! I am grateful for your posts!

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Aimee,
    Hey Aimee it can be challenging as a women to keep a home, raise a family and work a job. I’m going to pray for you to find God’s balance in your life. 1) God first 2) family then everything else. I know your son is a top priority for you and you don’t want to miss out the precious moments with him. Are you married Aimee? If so how does your husband feel about your schedule the way it is? Does he think you are a great mom to your son? I know as a mommy, I can get down on myself and feel like I’m not spending quality time with my kids but my husband help me identify that I am doing just fine. Also, you may want to try devoting 5 or 15 minutes everyday – every other day where it’s just you and your son. I think a little bit of quality time is better than none or sporadic. When life was busy, each child got 5 minutes alone with me each night before bed. Let me know how things go.

38. Morgan says

I really struggle with this. I am usually good about getting up and dressed, but the rest? Not so much. I could justify why all day long but it would get me nowhere. I appreciate your willingness to pray for us! Thank you!

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Morgan,

Hi Morgan, be patient with yourself and keep your focus on pleasing God. When we look at our limitations we can become overwhelmed, frustrated and feel like giving up. I am praying for you to grow in this area. Take it one prayer and on day at a time. Keep me posted on your progress. 🙂

Trackbacks