There’s No Salvation for Osama Bin Laden

I went to bed very early last night after having dinner and fellowship with friends so I didn’t hear the news about Osama Bin Laden until just a few moments ago. Initially, I thought it might have been a hoax, but after verifying the story through a few sites I knew it was true.

While I believe that Osama Bin Laden needed to be held responsible for his actions connected to the 9/11 attacks and any other terrorist activity, I was and am deeply saddened by the images of people celebrating this mans death.

As Christians, we know that the headline of today’s Daily News article holds true for the fate of Bin Laden. Not only has he died a physical death but he will will spend all eternity in hell.

And it’s sad.

I can’t imagine that Jesus is rejoicing over the loss of this one soul. I can’t imagine that Osama wasn’t just as valuable to God as me or you. While we pretend to have claimed victory over terrorism through Osama Bin Laden’s death, we are actually demonstrating our fear and lack of faith.

Millions of Muslims are watching our so called Christian nation and shaking their heads, vowing to never be like ‘us infidels’. We are a nation that lacks compassion. We celebrate at the death of human beings and support the burning of the Koran and other holy books.

We lack compassion, forgiveness and faith enough to petition God to change the hearts of men. We pray for vengeance but not for repentance in the hearts of our enemies.

I won’t be joining in the celebration today.

In fact…I’ve already scheduled some posts to publish throughout the day and will be taking the day off from blogging. I just want to spend the day praying for our lost Muslim brothers and sisters. I’ll also be praying for our nations heart and minds to be turned toward God.

Put on therefore, as the elect of God, holy and beloved, bowels of mercies, kindness, humbleness of mind, meekness, longsuffering; Colossians 3:12

Image courtesy of the NY Daily News

Head over the A Proverbs Wife Facebook page to join in on the discussion and see what other community members had to say.

Comments

1. Jesse says

Psalm 139:19-22
    “And please, God, do away with wickedness for good!
    And you murderers—out of here!—
    all the men and women who belittle you, God,
    infatuated with cheap god-imitations.
    See how I hate those who hate you, God,
    see how I loathe all this godless arrogance;
    I hate it with pure, unadulterated hatred.
    Your enemies are my enemies!”

2. Vicki says

I rarely comment on anything political, but your post moved me to point out Proverbs 11:10 “When the righteous prosper, the city rejoices; when the wicked perish, there are shouts of joy.”. I do not believe it is wrong for people to rejoice when there is relief from tyranny. I believe God has mercy on those he loves, and will not force the innocent to suffer forever at the hands of the wicked. This man has caused terrible suffering and would continue to do so. I believe most people are not rejoicing so much over his fate, as they are rejoicing in the relief this brings to the innocent, and in that I see no wrong. There is “righteous anger”, it is not hateful or personal to anybody. I am saddened that often the burden of “guilt” is placed on the innocent, that people are told they are “wrong” to rejoice when their abusers are brought to justice? Wrong to thank God for relief from evil? Justice exists for good reason. There will always be those who will speak ugly and hateful and cast a bad light on what is just and right, but I do not believe it is the majority. I think most people are rejoicing and thanking God for “justice” today, not out of hate.

Vicki Reply:

@Vicki, I just wanted to follow up on this to clarify that I understand the nature of your post and was not posting to disagree, but to hopefully offer a reminded that this is not the majority. Yesterday (prior to the news about Bid Laden) the board where I have been “couponing” for 12 years announced there will be no more political posts allowed in the general chat forum due to the hateful nature of so many. It seems to be everywhere regardless of the news story. I still hope this does not represent the majority of Americans or Christians.

Cindy Reply:

@Vicki, very good point. I like how you brought out the rejoicing in relief. That would be my reason to rejoice. I can’t speak for anyone else!

3. Linda says

I agree with you. I know he was a terrible man, but I can’t celebrate any person’s death.

Jesse Reply:

Sure you can. Read Exodus 15. Miriam the sister of Moses wrote a song about Pharaoh’s army drowning in the sea. What are going to do when the anti-christ is killed? Shed a tear. Please! you guys need to wake up!

4. Tisha says

In Proverbs is says that we should not gloat when our enemy stumbles. But we can thank God that we are delivered from our enemies. This man chose to be an enemy of the cross. And then an enemy of the United States. If you look at it in this perspective… God gave him 9 years and 9 months to repent…that is what I call mercy.
    In my perspective the spirit that this man represented was a Goliath to us. Today as a parable, God defended us and cut off the head of the giant. And we do not war against flesh and blood but against powers and principalities. I celebrate and rejoice that God is our defender. I celebrate and rejoice for the victory that has happened against the powers and principalities that were stacked against us. I do not celebrate the fall of a human being.
    We are far from a perfect nation…but God loves us. And we need to remember that he loves justice.
    The National Day of Prayer is this Thursday – let’s use it to repent and pray and seek the face of the Lord. My whole county in Indiana is involved and 15 pastors from all over the county have called a fast. We can still turn this great nation of ours back to the cross! 2 Chronicles 7:14.

5. caius cilius says

Hopefully the death of this misguided terrorist who has brought so much hatred and violence into the world and infamy to the Muslim religion will encourage the end of radical Islam and the reprehensible concept of jihad.
    The 3000 and more innocent civilians of 9/11 are only a small part of what this devil of a man has to anwer for.
    He has been the cause of all of the collateral deaths resulting from the conflicts that he provoked. Let us not be guilty of the distasteful conduct indicative of blind and mindless hatred such as the radicals exhibited around the world on 9/11. Vengeance, in the end, belongs to the Lord, not to us.

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@caius cilius, Thanks for your comment Caius Cilius.

6. says

@The Proverbs Wife,

Yes, I am a Christian. 🙂 I apologize for not saying so in my comment!
    I believe everyone always has the chance to convert to Christianity if they are breathing.
    Thank you for your reply. We all have a bit of differing opinions….but we can all agree that we love Jesus Christ..and that is the best thing to be in agreement about! 🙂 I hope you enjoy your day!

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Katy~TheCountryBlossom, 🙂

7. says

While we should NEVER rejoice that someone will “rot in hell” we can be thankful for the justice God has commanded our government to perform. God has placed government in place to avenge evil.
    Romans 13 : 1-4
    Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God.
    Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment.
    For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval,
    forhe is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God’s wrath on the wrongdoer.

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Cindy,

We have a word for that scripture reference and it’s called ‘treason’. I can not confirm nor deny with 100% certainty that God commanded our government to perform this act of vengeance. Whether it was God commanded or not is between those you placed the order and God.

The point is exactly what you say in the first part of your comment, “we should NEVER rejoice that someone will “rot in hell”. (PERIOD)

Thanks for your comment and for the verse.

Cindy Reply:

@The Proverbs Wife, I don’t understand what you mean about one word for that reference being treason…please explain
    My point was NOT that God commanded this particular act, BUT that God allows the leaders we have for this time. We can’t forget about God’s sovereignty…He didn’t need the media to inform him of this death.
    And yes, there should be no rejoicing over the death of a lost soul.
    Also, I am ‘skeptical’ that this man is actually dead being there is not a body of proof. Unfortunately, my thought is that it is all politically motivated to make our current president look like a hero.

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Cindy,

The verse you quoted is what we would describe in present terms as treason. Although I haven’t always agreed with any of our current or previous presidents decisions, Christians have an obligation to support anything short of sin. God declared it in the Bible and the verse you shared confirms that. 🙂

Cindy Reply:

@The Proverbs Wife, thanks for clearing that up 🙂

8. says

I just want to say a HGE THANK YOU for your courage in this post. I was just talking to my hubby about this this morning and I told him how I ws saddend over hoe “Christian’s” are Rejoicing over his death. I so much appreciate your post you put into words what I was thiking.
    Bless you Sister
    Angie at
    come over for a visit.

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Angie,

Your welcome Angie. Please consider “liking”, tweeting or sharing this post with someone. I’m sure that others are thinking the same thing but don’t want to be the first or only one to say it.

9. says

Although I know your heart is in the right place, I disagree with you on many points.

While I don’t like death to come upon anyone and am *not* “celebrating” the death of Bin Laden…I still must say that our nation *is* one of compassion. The outreach we give to other countries surpasses anyone else. Have you seen the protests in other countries of the people chanting to kill us Americans!? They do this chanting even without provokation. They don’t like us simply because many of us are Christians.

Bin Laden was evil. He had his chance to convert to Christianity, just like we all do. While I am sad that he did not make that conversion and will now spend an eternity in Hell, I also realize that this is one less person out to kill us.

I do pray for the change of hearts in men…but many hearts are hardened in this world. To say no one has forgiveness or faith that God can and will change hearts is a large generalization.

I speak in kindness and love….but your post of this on facebook asked for our thoughts…and I felt the need to share mine. I hope it is received okay.

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Katy~TheCountryBlossom,

Thanks for sharing your thoughts Katy. Our outreach surpasses everyone else’s in most cases is because we are 1 of the top 3 wealthy nations in the world. While some of the aid is out of compassion (Red Cross, UNICEF and others) most of the government aid is politically motivated…but that is a topic for another day.

Are you 100% sure that Bin Laden had his chance to convert to Christianity? A large number of Muslims are indoctrinated about the evil of Christianity from the moment they can comprehend. They go through rigorous lessons regarding Islam and it’s belief system. Muslims are the hardest to convert simply because their religions teachings specifically incorporate a disdain for Christianity in their teachings. Part of this is why Islam is the 2nd lading religion in the world and the one that many convert to after Christianity.

I’m not sure of your beliefs as you did not mention them in your comments, I will assume that you are Christian. In regard to your comment, “I also realize that this is one less person out to kill us.” I will refer to my reply on Facebook, I didn’t feel any sense of relief by Osama being dead… “I was relieved of any fear when I accepted Christ’s salvation therefore no one else has to die for me to feel safe. Jesus did that for me already. In God have I put my trust: I will not be afraid what man can do unto me. Psalm 56:11”. Which is what takes me to my point about not having to petition God to change men’s hearts. How can we truly want God to change the heart of one whom we fear when we don’t even believe that God can and will keep us safe?

To clarify…I didn’t say that “no one” has forgiveness or faith that God can and will change hearts. My writing may have caused you to misinterpret. What I wrote was “we”, referring to my mention of “Christian nation” in the previous paragraph. That doesn’t mean all Christians…it just means as the entire body of believers as a whole. It doesn’t often matter to non Americans what a small number of Christians are doing. They look at Christians often times as a group.

I appreciate you sharing your perspective. While I don’t normally write on this topic I thought it was important for us to talk about today. 🙂

Alecia Reply:

@The Proverbs Wife, I think we need to be careful in suggesting that he did not have the chance to come to Christ. We believe that no one can stand righteous before God and that He will not give a free pass to any. If He is an all-mighty and just God, which He is, then we know that this, too, was part of His plan.

I agree that this occasion is bittersweet. I am thankful that Usama has been brought to physical justice, but it is now God’s turn to judge him and bring justice to him for eternity. Rather than focus on the sadness of Usama not turning to Christ, I will rejoice today that God has chosen to save me and give me a heart of compassion for His people. For my fate should have been the same as Usama’s.

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Alecia, Without evidence we cannot confirm that he did or didn’t. It’s not a suggestion just a fact. We can’t make a call based upon that lack of evidence.

What I do know is that many Muslims in the Middle East and Asia are not exposed to and even threatened if they choose to explore Christianity as an option.

Ans yes the occasion is bittersweet and will most certainly result in reconciliation from the Jihad and many other anti American factions. Luckily for us Jesus fights every battle and already reigns victory over the chief enemy who is satan. Thanks for stopping by and sharing Alecia. 🙂

Jesse Reply:

Osama has openly spoke
    about his views of Christianity. And you
    should feel safer because Osama was a very
    smart and efficient terrorist. You say Osama
    was just as valuable to God as us? This is a
    really sick thing to say. If Osama was so valuable to God then why is he dead? Osama was not at all valuable to God. Enemies of God are not valuable.

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Jesse,
    While I am not against the death of Osama, I am concerned for all lost souls as is our Lord and Savior Christ Jesus. I understand that some will perish without accepting Christ and if lost souls don’t disturb us as Christians, what is the point of our faith? Christs commandment is to win souls for the kingdom of God. Forget not that Paul persecuted the Christians yet he was still valuable enough to be redeemed. My faith is not about fear and hate. I can still love and feel empathy for all men regardless of their evil. Was Osama evil? Yes. Did he deserve to die for his sins. Yes. But according to scripture so do we. Be careful of thinking that you or I deserve salvation more than some one else for scripture says, “What then? are we better than they? No, in no wise: for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin; As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one” Romans 3:9-10

Finally, as I said in previous comments — I am not making a declaration of whether I agree or disagree with Osamas death. I was when I heard the news, saddened that he couldn’t be brought to salvation.

It didn’t take Osamas death to make me feel safe as you stated I should feel as a result. It was Christ death and resurrection that secured my safety. I was safe the day that I accepted Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior.

The LORD is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? the LORD [is] the strength of my life; of whom shall I be afraid? Psalm 27:1

If you believe that the answer to dealing with unbelievers is death then you’ve missed the whole point on the new testament and the examples of Jesus. Keep in mind that Jesus killed none of his enemies. 🙂

10. Amy says

Wow! It took alot of courage for your to write this! I agree with you in my heart, but I was not going to say it aloud. Thank you and have a great day!!

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Amy,

Thanks Amy. You don’t have to say it aloud physically but you can say it aloud virtually by sharing this post via clicking on “like” or emailing it to someone or tweeting it. You can blame it on me. 😀