Does your family have a real tree or a fake tree?

Real vs. Fake Christmas Tree

I am so excited about Christmas. It’s the one time of the year when I get to do all of my favorite things with the people I love.

I started off the month thinking about putting up my Christmas tree. I try and wait until at least the first of December to put it up. You can’t help but thinking about Christmas trees since they are everywhere during this time of year.

My daughter and I spotted one at the mall during our Mommy and Daughter shopping day.

20121203-085014.jpg

Then there was one as we entered church Saturday night.

20121203-085002.jpg

Then there were at least twelve on the stage (pulpit for us old school churchgoers) once we entered the sanctuary.

20121203-085536.jpg

I gotta tell you that I’ve been debating over buying a real Christmas tree this year. I was feeling really discontent with the 13 year old fake one we have because to me it looks sparse and not nearly as full as the real evergreen trees.

Even comedian Kevin Hart was wrestling with the choice to remain faithful to his fake tree or to buy a real tree.

I’ll tell you in a moment what I decided to do, but you’ll have to watch the Verizon video to find out what kind of tree Kevin decided to have this year.

I decided to be content with the tree I have and settled on buying new decorations to spruce it up a bit. In lieu of traditional colors I went with aqua and silver ornaments. I also replaced all the lights with LED lights. The are more expensive up front but should cost less to run over the next few years.

20121203-084935.jpg

20121203-084903.jpg

20121203-084846.jpg

20121203-084910.jpg

20121203-084856.jpg

20121203-093904.jpg

20121203-093909.jpg

20121203-093858.jpg

I am overjoyed with the way that my tree turned out. I was a little nervous about the colors but I love the way it looks.

Now it’s your turn.

20121203-085035.jpg

_______________________________________________________

This is a sponsored post. Please read my disclosure to learn more.

Comments

1. says

For years my family had a little table top fake tree that I loved. But now I opt for a real tree..the smallest one tho! I can’t get 7 feet to decorate!! I like the smell of it and just everything..I’m not opposed to fake trees tho! and once again your ornaments are amazing.

2. says

That tree is beautiful. The colors that you chose for the ornaments compliment each other nicely! My family usually goes for the fake tree, but since there are no small children in my house, we haven’t put it up in a few years now :/

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

Awwww…you should put one up. It’s that once a year thing. You don’t need kids at home to create a Christmas tree decorating tradition.

3. says

We currently have a fake tree. I have a family member that gets a real tree every year. I just lust going to her house during the holidays just to look at the tree! I love your photos and the video is hilarious! Your ornaments are really nice too!

4. mindy coffey says

We have a 3 foot fuchsia pink tree & a 3 foot lilac purple tree for my son’s room & then my daughter’s too! I have used a white tree for our main sitting area though & I really like the non-traditional colors on CHRISTmas trees but I really love your idea too keep your tree this year & just buy new decor b/c it’s looks amazing! Love the colors too! You are such a wise & inspiring person!

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

Thanks @mindy coffey. I like the colored tress and wanted to buy a mini one for each of the kids rooms. Mr. P didn’t think it was a good idea to have multiple trees so I let it go….for now. LOL!

5. says

I am cracking up at that video. Right now we have no tree but we are in negotiations LOL. Hubs wants an artificial tree but I want a real one. We shall see how this plays out.

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

I love it @T. Espi. Me and Mr. P are in negotions too. I want mini trees for the kids room. We’ll see how that plays out. LOL!! 😀

6. Jennifer Fierro says

We have used a fake tree for the past 12 years, although 4 different ones. Next year, I think I am going to get a real one. By the way, I have the same silver ball ornaments (on the right) that you have! Love em!

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Jennifer Fierro,

Yep. Those ornaments were too cute to pass up. The silver crosses are my favorite.

7. says

I personally LOVE real, but we have a fake and a tight budget 🙁 One year we’ll get a real one.

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Adelina Priddis,

No need for sad faces. I’ve had a fake on for about 13 years. What counts is that the family that decorates the tree is real and not fake with one another. 🙂

8. michelle says

my parents used to do the real tree because my mother loved the fresh smell of pine. my father on the other hand did not like cleaning up the sap, nor did he enjoy picking it up and taking it all the way up the stairs of our 2-story home. we are going with an artificial tree this year, but I hope to do something extra to make it look nice. Christmas is my favorite time of the year!

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@michelle,

“I hope to do something extra to make it look nice” That’s exactly what I was thinking when I updated the ornaments. New ornaments made me fall back in love with my old tree. <3

9. says

I bought a fake one this year. I really wanted a real tree, but decided to go the artificial route until my daughter is a bit older. At 16-months, it really doesn’t make a difference to her. She lights up the tree is plugged in all the same. I do want to pass on the tradition of going out and selecting a real tree, something we did as a family growing up. And you can get the real deal without pines shedding onto the floor, what most folks say who are pro artificial.

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Heather H.,

That’s good too know. We may switch it up and get a real one again one day.

10. says

I love how you did this post! I should put up a picture of my tree. We do the “fake thing” each year and love it. My parents used to do a real tree and although it was beautiful, it was a pain to clean up!

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

Do a post @Amiyrah. I want to see your tree. I love looking at how other people decorate. <3

Amiyrah Reply:

@The Proverbs Wife, I did mine already :). I’m part of the same campaign. I did add a picture of our spiderman ornament after seeing your post though!