Is it Biblical for a Christian Wife to Work?

For those of you on the journey toward learning more about being a Biblical wife today’s topic is going to be a special treat.

Keep in mind that I am by no means an expert on the Bible but I am convinced that it is true and what is written are infallible instructions for Christian living.

The bible gives us instruction on every situation we’ll ever face and it includes clear instruction on the Christian wife’s vocation.

Titus 2:3-5 gives us some very beneficial instruction on what we as Christian wives should be doing with our time and it also shows us where we should be spending our time.

The aged women likewise, that they be in behavior as becometh holiness, not false accusers, not given to much wine, teachers of good things; that they may teach the young women to be sober, to love their husbands, to love their children, to be discreet, chaste, keepers at home, good, obedient to their own husbands, that the word of God be not blasphemed. Titus 2:3-5

It says that wives should be keepers at home.

What does that mean to you?

Here’s what it means to me.

The word keep is a verb (or action word) meaning to to hold in a given place, to maintain, especially in accordance with specific requirements, to cause to continue in a given position, state, course, or action.

So scripture is telling me that my job as a wife is to manage my home environment in accordance to Gods principles on an on-going basis with the goal of keeping it in line with Gods principles.

In the Greek the word for keep is oikourgos (oy-koo-ros’) meaning working at home.

When I first read Titus 2:5 and contemplated the idea of being an at home wife, I felt as though God was playing some cruel joke on me.

I felt like it was impossible for me to leave my job, be at home full time and still meet our monthly financial obligations.

You might be thinking the same thing but it is possible because “nothing is impossible with God”. Luke 1:37

1. How can Christians can fulfill the call to be keepers at home in today’s society?

Living on one income in a two income world is not going to be easy at first but the rewards will bring a peace beyond anything you can comprehend.

The biggest things that keeps us from living on one income is debt. Debt ensures that wives have to work outside of the home.

Many of us have been taught that debt is normal and necessary in today’s society but the truth is as Christians we live in this world but are not to conform to the ways of the world. Romans 12:2

We are called to conform to the word of God about all things including our finances.

If we have debt we are in bondage.

Debt takes away our freedom thus taking away our right to choose. When families debt, husbands have to work long hours and often times more than one job.

If the debt is great husband often require and encourage their wives to work therefore placing on her a burden that is Biblically not hers to bear. Her focus is then drawn away from her primary role of caring for the home.

Being able to live on one income will start with getting your finances in order. Getting into debt is easy but getting out is hard. It’s hard but not impossible so don’t give up. If you decide to embark on the journey your going to want to keep this list of verses for Christians concerned about finances handy.

Everything is going to come at you trying to discourage you, but Gods word hidden in your heart will shine a light in any dark situation that comes your way.

2. What should wives be doing at home?

The end game of being a keeper at home is to build a Godly  heritage through our service to our families. In Proverbs 31:10-31 there is example after example of the biblical character of a Proverbs Wife.

She is a women who has submitted the cultivation of her character to the will of God. She is a women that her husband can trust with everything.

Wives who are keepers at home are free to be primarily concerned with the spiritual, emotional and physical well being of her husband and children. They don’t have to balance the demands of her job with the responsibilities as a homemaker.

They are not burden down with deadlines, commutes and office politics. Instead of building a business for someone they are cultivating a Godly family for the Kingdom of Heaven.

If a wife does decide to work, it will be in a vocation where she is not inhibited by the constrains of a traditional job. It will be a career that she is able to bring under the subjection of Gods order for the family.

The job she does will not come before her responsibility as a wife, mother and homemaker. Proverbs 31:24

3. Encouragement for those who plan to pursue this lifestyle.

If you are already working outside of the home but want to be at home it will take some intentional effort on you and your husbands part. You both have to be on board with the decision.

It will take a sound financial plan for reducing debt and transitioning to one income. When we decided to get out of debt we used The Total Money Makeover: A Proven Plan for Financial Fitness and The Financial Peace Planner: A Step-by-Step Guide to Restoring Your Family’s Financial Health because it was created around biblical principles.

We also prayed a lot and studied scripture on Biblical womanhood, manhood and finances. We searched out every scripture we could find a slowly began to ask God to make our lives mirror what He was revealing to us.

It’s been a journey seven years in the making. Even with the opposition we faced from friends, family and even believers, it’s one that I would do all over again if I had too.

I see a marked difference in our lives from when we were not mirroring Gods instructions for wives. Myself, husband and children are more peaceful and we are seeing God do so many miracles in our lives.

If you plan to embark on this journey I want to pray for you today.

Father in Heaven,

Your thoughts are not our thoughts and your ways not our ways so when You reveal things to us through the study of your word and the revelation of the Holy Spirit we look at the standard as impossible.

You know the pressures of our society and You understand our fears, but despite what the world tells we want to trust You. For the husbands and wives who have read this article and desire to follow Your will, I pray that you would bless them with a peace that surpasses all understanding.

I pray You’d embolden them with Your courage as you did for David, Joshua and many of our Christian forefathers. Give them the faith to take what they’ve read here today and apply it to their lives to glorify and honor You.

Amen.

Your sister in Christ Saidah — CEO of AProverbsWife.com

Are you a keeper at home? If so, how long have you been and what advice would you give to a couple just starting out on this journey?

Comments

1. alyssa says

I recently just quit my job that I have had for 3 years. For this fact. I was reading one day and in Genius when it talks about Adam and Eve right after they ate of the forbidden fruit God put a curse on man and on woman. The curse for the man was to work by the sweat of his brow. The curse of the women is child birth. When women work they are putting another curse upon their shelf. I understand if you have to work if your husband can not. But if it takes cutting back your way of living then do so. You might have to make coffee at home instead of going to the coffee shop. Or making dinner at home instead of going out. My big thing was using what I have. If I wanted a new rug for the kitchen because I didn’t like the other I would go buy one. Now I make due with what I have. Thank you for this post. Its hard at first to make the change but it well worth it in the end.

2. Linda says

“Keepers of the home”
    While I understand your points in the article, my own interpretation differs. Times have changed…it is very difficult to live on one income nowadays. Also, I work ten hour days and am still able to”keep my home”. My own personal opinion is that if there are no kids at home to raise or they’re at the age when they’re in school, why not work? To each their own I guess. The Word of God calls me to be a helper to my husband. Why would I want to make our family have stress over finances if it’s not necessary? That would make my husband have to be out of the home even more…we share the load in our home in all ways. God Bless.

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Linda, thank you so much for your feedback. Each home is different and at the end of the day we all should strive to follow God. For us…we did struggle for a few years on one income because we felt it was important for me to be at home with our young children. My husband worked 2 jobs so that meant long hours. Those were sacrifices we were called to make. During that time we learned to better manage our finances and even got out of debt on just one income. We are almost debt free and once our children are all adults we I won’t have to work if I choose not to but I will because we love what we do. We both have our own businesses and set our own hours. What we sacrificed for 4-5 years to live more freely now was worth it. I think when there is no debt there are no financial stresses. When I read what the Bible said about the borrower being slave to the lender, I realized why we were stressed over finances and my husband and I wanted to change that. Our children are still school age and due to the choices we made several years ago, we are free to parent together without the stress of work or financial obligations. Each women is called to help their husband in the way that he needs in order to reach the family goals in Christ. If working to maintain obligations is how you and your husband have decided is the best way to honor God….that’s awesome. I don’t want anyone to read this post and feel like staying at home is best or working is best. What God is calling a husband and wife to do via prayer, wise counsel and Bible study is what they ought to do. Thanks so much for sharing your story Linda.

3. Sarah says

Thank you for writing this. Almost a month ago, after long time praying my husband and I decided to close the daycare so I could be with the kids more one on one after school. So I signed up to sub for school. Since then God has provided for us. It feels so good to see God working, I am so much happier.

Now my problem is trying to find something to do while kids are at school to stay busy, except cleaning all the time.

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Sarah, find a hobby. That’s what I did and God turned my hobby into a business that now brings in a full time income. I’m able to be home with my children and available for my husband. Even if you never make a dime from your hobby it will bring you joy.

4. Angela Maddox says

I interpreted Titus 2 to mean that a women is responsible for the upkeep of her home which is a task that a working women can perform for example the Proverbs 31woman. I think God gave her to us module to follow because he knew some of us would work and have careers and I believe that is still apart of his will. I think the correct thing would be to say that whether we work or stay at home it should be in accordance to the purpose God has set for our lives and that we still maintain his standards and expectancy as Christian women. Again whats important is knowing Gods will. For example my will for our family is to be in the corporate world its all I know since I have worked since age 13 but God’s will for me is to be at home and I know that because I’m a greater benefit to my husband there

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Angela Maddox, I agree. It’s all about listening to, seeking and knowing Gods will for your life.

Johan Aquino Reply:

@Angela Maddox,
    Amen. Not everyone is at the same level and everyone have their own process that they must go thru. God has a purpose with each of his children and his will in our life is what should matter the most. Let him be the center of your life and he will guide you.

5. Angela Maddox says

While i do believe it is wonderful for us wives who choose to stay at home I think it is unconventional to say it is scripture. If you look at Proverbs 31. The wife actually works outside her home she is actually a woman who does it all. I think God knew that women would work outside of the home and Proverbs 31 is a model for women who want to follow either path. You can still be a keeper of your home and work. I interpreted the Titus 2 scripture to mean work as in the upkeep of the home. Its truly about seeking Gods will for your family and then executing balance.

6. Lora says

This is the confirmation I needed! I am married and blessed to have three grown children who are all married and have 7 grandchildren, all who live within twenty miles of us. Eight years ago I made the decision to enter the workforce even though I did not have to. In that time I have bought a new vehicle, in addition to incurring some other expenses all against my husband’s wishes. My husband is not a believer, nor was I when we married over thirty years ago, but I did accept Christ nineteen years ago. Now that I have made these expenses I have to work to pay them. I can honestly say that there is not one material possession that I went in debt for is worth eight hours of each day not being available for my family. I want more than anything to put my home back in order and be available to visit my oldest two children at school for lunch and field trips, help my daughter who is homeschooling four of my grandchildren and spend a day each week helping at the school with my youngest daughter who is a kindergarten teacher and read to her class. My youngest daughter just blessed us with the birth of our seventh grandchild eight weeks ago and it was then that I realized what a mistake I had made in ever leaving the home and getting a job.
    Please pray that I can get things paid off quickly, by my estimate I will have to work another three to four years to achieve this…but I know that God is in control and I desire to follow His leading. My family is everything and I feel I have done a huge wrong to my family by ever getting a job. My place is in the home and I fully accept that position.

7. Heather L. says

I do not agree that a woman has to stay at home to be in God’s will. The only time that a woman should stay at home and not work outside the home is when her kids are small. My children are all in school and my oldest 3 are adults. There is no need for me to be at home all day just cleaning house. I have goals and aspirations that I am pursuing now that my kids are older and I see nothing wrong with that. My husband agrees wholeheartedly with what I am going to be doing. Both of us have prayed about it and all I care about is what God thinks. I feel that He is leading me in everything I am doing. Plus, the Proverbs woman did work outside the home. She went to the marketplace to sell her goods. She did not stay home and take care of house all day. I just do not believe that.

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Heather L., I never said a woman has to stay at home to be in Gods will. Those are your words. Being a keeper at home has so little to do with a cleaning the house all day but has everything to do with what I wrote under point number 2. I too have goals and aspirations as I am sure all women who stay at home do. Making the decision to stay at home doesn’t cancel that out especially for women who desire for their primary role to be available for their family full time. This post is not about shining a negative light on women who work outside of the home so don’t feel the need to justify your decision. You must do what is right in the sight of God for your family. This post is to encourage women who do work outside of the home and feel convicted about it. It’s to share some ways for them to begin heading in the direction of being at home full time. The Proverbs 31 Wife did many things include buy land, sell at the marketplace and invest so our role as wives is not limited by a specific vocation or location however Biblically speaking, the issues of our home and the people in it should be our priority no matter where we work or don’t work.

8. Catrice says

I am so thankful for this post. I am learning that if we love God and His Word it will be our desire to please Him. This is confirmation because I have been dealing with this for two years. I am self-employed and this school year I will be working only after my daughter is dropped off at school. Once school is out I will be home. My priority is God, family, and service. As a believer,wife and mother I know that we cannot put our occupations before our families and households. I am learning to Trust God and everything elese will fall into place. I just made my home managenent binder!!! I also only worked 14 days this month. My husband is very happy about the progress and I no longer feel guilty for lack of
    time with my family. Again thank you for sharing this post woman of God!!! Xoxo

9. says

I agree with this statement. Our God is a great God and He enables us to do great things. The Proverbs wife works and earns money inside and outsid the home. My God does not limit me, so I see no reason why I should limit myself.

10. Rebecca says

Ladies,
    As followers of Christ, lets not tear one another down. I know it took a lot of courage and spirit prompting for this post to be submitted. I do not hear a spiteful or harsh tone at all. But rather one of admonishing.
    Those of you that have been wounded by these words, take heart! The Lord and you husband are the ONLY authority in your life. You are obviously where they want you for now. But be in prayer, that just IF this is what The Lord had sovereignly planned for you to read and ponder on, that HIS perfect will may be done in your life.
    I reject 100% percent that the Proverbs 31 woman had a career. Yes, she bought, made, and sold goods. She was industrious. And very savvy to the market of her day. But the reason she did what she did was to be the very best keeper at home.
    You may argue that your circumstances demand that you work. I would agree in cases of extreme circumstances. But I also know that God can make provisions beyond our comprehension. I have been a working mom. I have (and still am) a stay at home, homeschooling mom to six, soon to be 7.
    At 40, I have seen the faithfulness of our Almighty God. He is so good! And never fails to tenderly love His children, whether by blessings or trials.
    So before you stomp off and pout…pray! Humbly ask The Lord if your thoughts have been clouded by the “wisdom” of this wicked culture, or are you exactly where The Lord can fully bless you and your family.
    God’s design for marriage and families has been under attack by Satan from the get go. Seek God’s very best for your life and family. Ask Him to lead you to the place He has lovingly prepared for you. His Word us true and everlasting!
    In Him,
    Rebecca

Catrice Reply:

@Rebecca, Amen

Jen Reply:

@Rebecca, In the past,I would have disagreed, but the Lord has shown me his ways are so much greater than mine. I left the workforce 2 yrs ago after we paid off 50k…..of debt (we read Total Money Makeover), and it was hard, but something had to go. My husband and I were on opposite shifts and fighting so much, I broke down and gave it all to God and asked for his wisdom and his way of doing things. Boy, did he show me! That next year he allowed us to become debt free and blessed my husband with a double increase with a new job that he loves! He told me he loves me being home because it makes his jobs easier going to work with clean clothes, breakfast cooked and lunch packed……things I neglected to do for him while working…he even pays me for it. He recently has told me that watching me grow in the Lord made him want to seek the Lord more deeply…..that was very humbling for me. We are so blessed and grateful how God can make a way where there seemed to be no way.

A Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Jen, I love your testiomony. It’s very similar to mine. God can do so much more with less than we often think.

11. says

Proverbs 31is a perfect example of a woman working at home. She is still a keeper of the home. But what she doesn’t do is sit around at home and expect her husband to bear all the weight. She found work. She saw a profit in a piece of land and purchased it then Planted a vineyard! She made linen at Home and sold it. She worked, at home.
    God knew we would fail and fall short, taking his great design for granted. He put it in us to want to be homemakers (my mom always said nesters). He also put a desire to work inside of us. Many woman confuse this desire with the husbands role and go to work outside of the home. But, scripture tells us that we can make money at home, while being nesters! My mother left her job and started a business raising expensive cats and selling them while homeschooling my younger sister. She also gardens, milks a goat, and raises chickens, taking a lot of weight off my father.
    When I got married I realised just how much my mother did. I wondered how she ever had time to do all that and still have a day of rest t the end of the week. I am in no way caught up with her, but I do my best to be a proverbs 31 woman.
    Scripture says the wife is the keeper of the home, the teacher, and spiritual glue(not to be confised with the spiritual leader, the husband’s role) God had a great plan when he designed and planned the marriage roles. It still blows me away. My goal is to homeschool and grow a garden, while working from the home to help my husband.
    So yes, it is possible. For husbands with disabilities, I think it really is a hard place to be. God didn’t say much about men not being able to work, but he did say that Christ died for our illnesses, shed his blood for our transgressions. Therefore, it is not his will for husbands (or anyone) to be sick or disabled. Obviously, a man on disability messed with Gods perfect plan for the marriage and household roles. Yes, you would be justified to go to work and provide. BUT! Regardless of what you feel you should do, you are trying to fill shoes that aren’t yours by going to work. You are to be a keeper at home. Not the main income of the family. I firmly believe that when you let go of trying to control the finances and you come home and start beng the keeper of the home, God will bless you. He blesses those that keep his commands. If you are operating out of his will, he can’t bless you. I have seriously considered going back to work full time, but I found that god has blessed us when I submit to my husband and to God.
    Ladies, you wouldn’t be here if you already knew. Don’t try to fill shoes that aren’t yours. Fill your shoes and let God take care of the rest.
    Blessings to you all on your journey to being a proverbs 31 woman. 🙂

Catrice Reply:

@Savanna, Amen!

12. April says

I’m in the same boat as some of the other ladies. My husband was a truck driver and was involved in an accident that left him with a severely injured back. He receives no assistance, therefore I am the bread winner of the family. Our twins love the fact that daddy is at home. I know that God has a plan for us. I have been content in my work for 15 years. We’re strongly involved in church and there are verses that support the working wife. I won’t be shaken because what God has for me, it is for me.

13. BUTTERCUP says

Your Proverbs Wife post is missing a verse…

Proverbs 31:24 KJV
    [24] She maketh fine linen, and selleth it ; and delivereth girdles unto the merchant.

14. Linda says

This is almost like looking down on women who have to work outside the home. I am already dealing with enough guilt that I left an abusive marriage because God hates divorce. Now my husband is disabled from a work accident, so I HAVE to work. Disability wont even cover the normal bills (the essentials) like power, water, car insurance, much less food. He can’t work, so I have to and I am the keeper of the home. I agree with the first comment, I am going to have to take a break from this site because I needed encouragement not guilt. I feel that because I can’t stay home and do all of the wifely duties, I am less of a wife and heaven help me if I have a child, apparently, I won’t be much of a mother either.

Tami Reply:

@Linda,
    I work outside the home, too. I do see God’s truth in what Saidah is sharing. I also know that some women have no choice but t work. Don’t feel guilty and I don’t think that was Saidah’s intention.

I’d love to visit with you more. We could use one another’s encouragement.

~Tami
    mymadakaja at Gmail dot com

15. Elizabeth says

This post hurt. I started following you recently and your insight was helping me to let go of my need to control everything and support my husband in being the best leader of our family…and then you posted this. Of the two of us, I have the college degree and the job with insurance. We did reach a point where one of us would have to leave our job and the natural (biblical?) reaction was for me to leave my job. However, that would leave us with no insurance for my children. I did pray about it, and I prayed a lot. Sure, I have the stress associated with working outside the home, but not working would not make me a better parent, just a differently stressed out one that cannot help her family subsist in suburban Chicago. However, my husband left his job full time and now works part time. He is becoming a better person and parent by being around our children. Our expectations for each other have changed and I still keep the home, but he helps a lot more. I was reaching a point where I thought God had led us, to a balance that was good for our family. This post poured on the guilt. Suddenly, I’m 12 years old and my grandmother is telling me, “You’re selfish for wanting to do something for yourself, and also, you’re not good enough as a daughter (in this case, wife and mother).” It doesn’t help that this is performance evaluation week at work. I enjoy most of your posts, but I may have to take a small break from your site before I can continue to read without taking my decision to work outside the home as a personal snub. However, I do commend you for posting this and for putting your view out there knowing it is not the most popular.

Empathetic Reply:

@Elizabeth,

So sorry that you were hurt by this post. I think you feel like a lot of women feel that may be in similar situations as yourself. I, myself totally understand you and your position. However, what I learned by being in your position was not to get upset when I heard other people’s stories or about their situations. I had to learn NOT to compare my life to somebody else’s. This is the thing that will make you feel worst about yourself.

Just because someone else is at a point in their lives where they are doing something based on God’s provision that may be different from yours and it is according to His plan for their lives at this season is no reason for me to get bent out of shape because it’s not my season or turn yet. I had to reiterate that to myself over and over again because some women I encountered made it seem as if I was committing a sin to help my family out by working and I actually enjoyed working for the most part because I had been doing since before I married. I was always independent.

My husband worked when I met him, he’s always worked but he got laid off around the time our biological son was born. So, we lived off of my paycheck during this period. When he found work, it still wasn’t enough to cover the bills and our lifestyle. So, of course I had to continue working but the plan was ALWAYS for me to stay at home and take care of the children and home along with his needs, etc. Some women would act like it was a crime for my husband to help out at home and with the children while I worked. I thought to myself, they have no clue just how good my husband is. Most of the judgment would come from others that had horrible marriages themselves and were unhappy or discontent with their own situations and would try to project that unhappiness or discontent on to me and my household. I thought about all of the wonderful things my husband did regularly and how supportive he was of everything I wanted to do. He always wined and dined me, gave me everything he had and he was always willing to do more or go the extra mile no matter what it was. The fact is that I never wanted to quit work because I was making a boat load of money and I was taught to be independent so I never totally wanted to depend on my husband financially. I tried it several times before but it didn’t work. I always ended up going back to work due to me not wanting to quit at the time and feeling like I had to work or else I could not live the way I had always been accustomed to. Finally, until I got so frustrated at work, I would complain to my husband and he would always say, if you want to quit, quit! I thought, I can’t quit. He already told me days prior that I could quit. He said, anytime you are ready to, you can quit!

Then one day I got so stressed at work that I called my husband and complained again, he said, if you want to quit now, do it. I’m coming to get you. So, that day I just quit! It was the best thing I’d ever done for myself and my family. I’m so much more calm and attentive to the needs of everyone in my household. I love being a stay at home mom that has a ministry and I write and will soon have a few books published. I also homeschool my son who is very bright! While my other two children enjoy being in regular school, they are also respectful, helpful and bright. I get so many compliments on how well behaved and mature all 3 of my children are as well as how bright they are. I attribute these things to having more time to devote to my family. My husband loves me at home and loves I’m not cranky coming home from work and angry at the people I work with mean and unreasonable things I was dealing with. My lifestyle has not changed because I made it clear to my husband that he had to make sure that that’s something that would not happen but if it did, I would learn to be content until God made more provision.

I just want to encourage you because I can empathize with you and I know what you are going through. What kept me encouraged also is that I knew that on top of everything else, my husband loved me and wanted the best for me and always had a DESIRE to give me the desire of my heart when I started having children which was to stay at home and nurture them and pour into them. If God did it for me, He can certainly do it for you! BE ENCOURAGED!!!!

16. says

Great article and bold of you to take that stance! Even in our Christian culture, you could take a lot of heat for this opinion. In truth, I NEVER EVER thought I’d be a stay at home mom. Nope. Never. I just always assumed I’d have a career like my mother did and I’d see the kids in the evening and that’d be normal. After I got married, God started working on my heart. I realized that working my full time job was keeping me from being the best wife and mom I could be. I’d come home exhausted, cranky, stressed, etc. It wasn’t a healthy thing for my family who NEEDED the peace and care that a mother and wife can give. I had nothing left to give at the end of a workday. So, We decided I would stay at home. It is an amazing difference. I get to raise my three little boys (ages 3 and under) and teach them crucial points to living under God’s command. If a woman does have a job outside the home, it should not be a detriment in any way to the family and if it is, then I do not believe that’s God’s will. Seriously again, Growing up I’d never have seen it that way, but life (and God) has changed my heart.

17. Linda White says

I have been a stay at home mom/ wife for 28 yrs now. I did work the first 5 years of our marriage before children came along. I decided I wanted to be at home with my children to raise them. It has not always been easy but we made it, and my husband did have a steady decent job to support us. I did babysit my sisters kids and still babysit for others for extra money of my own. I am very glad I did decide to be at home with my kids and it was place to do that I felt and still feel.

18. Submissivewife says

The proverbs woman worked the fields and sold and traded… She was involved with the community and took great care of her home and family… She worked and her family lacked nothing… I believe when Jesus said that if a man doesn’t work he should not eat that he wasn’t just talking about the male gender… There is nothing wrong with a mother staying home with babies but once they are in school there is nothing wrong with a Christian wife pulling in an income to help with the family budget!

19. says

We happened into by “accident” (Looking back, I know it was God’s design). I did work full time, though I wanted to be home. The company closed so we crunched numbers and decided to pay off debt with my meager 401K instead of rolling it over. Painful but one of the best decisions we made. I also went to work part-time for 2 years and was again laid off (economy cuts). That time we decided to stay home and eventually homeschool. Our lives became a lot more peaceful, my children more well-behaved (they aren’t perfect, but we didn’t have the daily tantrums from tired kids). It does take more planning and commitment and a healthy prayer life and relationship with your Heavenly Father. I wouldn’t trade any of it for the world. It’s been the biggest blessing God ever gave us. We do not drive new cars and go on fancy vacations, but I am here for my family and am doing what I feel God has called me to do.

20. Yvette says

I believe that its ok for the wife to work outside the home. The scripture says the aged woman so we need to take that into consideration.i personally stay home and have for the past 2yrs but i am in my 40’s and babysit my grand children while my daughter works.

21. Lorie Brinkley says

The Lord allowed me to leave work and stay at home full time a year and a half ago. Its still surreal to me some days – all I ever wanted to do was stay at home and raise my kids. The Lord gave us 3 girls to adopt and now I am homeschooling and loving being at home and being a keeper at home:)

22. Tabi J says

n some cases, it is necessary for the Christian wife to work outside the home, such as the husband has a hard time finding a job or have a disability. Living on SSI or disability alone is NOT enough to support a family at all, trust me, I know this from experience.

23. Debbie says

Yes, I am a stay at home Mom. Having said that, I was a RN before that. I married @ 28 and started a family. I would work some when the children were young, but would stop when I felt it was interfering with home life. I finally felt I had to stop working when they entered school. So pretty much the last 10 I have stayed @ home. No pay raises. Just living paycheck to paycheck. But I am happy. The kids are happy. I talk to my kids and they communicate back with me. Something rare in today’s era. I am glad I stayed home. Perfect marriage? No, but we love each other and are committed to each other. He is my best friend. God took care of our needs, and gave us the desires of our heart, to love one another.

Trackbacks