My husband and I have been busy working on DIY projects around the house and wanted to share some we’ve recently completed. We are in the process of completely updating our home (on a budget and completely debt free). I hate debt and have no intention of accumulating any during this renovation.
One of the things I’ve wanted for months has been these way cute light fixtures from Ikea but would have to drive four hours there and back to get them.
I mentioned my love of them to my husband for months and he wouldn’t bite. He couldn’t see the sense in driving two hour to Charlotte to get my light fixtures.
But lo and behold, I found the second one plus the one hanging in my bedroom in the picture below at Lowes. Now there are two of these beauties hanging in my master bedroom.
Another area of my bedroom that I focused on was storage. My husband and I were using baskets and on 5 drawer dresser for some of our clothes. I wanted a larger dresser but at a frugal price. I’d been scouring Craigslist and cam across this Stanley furniture dresser with two larger mirrors on Craigslist for $30!
I’d love to paint the dresser in a Chartreuse using the technique Melissa from Number2Pencil used but my husband is not sold on painting or removing the drawers a perfectly fine dresser.
If you look at her dresser, it looks very similar to mine. Melissa’s was the inspiration for me waiting months to finally find one I liked on Craigslist.
Another things I did around the house was try my hand at spray painting instead hand painting. So many DIY’ers have been talking about the amount of time they save using spray paint and how spray paint leaves a smoother finish so I decided to give it a try.
I took a few old items that were in desperate need of some TLC.
I didn’t follow the instructions but tried to be cheap and skip the primer step. Well, the finish was not very pretty. You may not be able to tell, but some of the original color still shows through the paint.
Overall, I was happy with the quick trial and error session with spray paint.
The next thing I tried, was painting glass. I changed the dollar store vase in the picture below from clear to white by filling it with paint, emptying it and allowing it to dry.
As you know, our den flooded around 2011 and it’s been an eye sore ever since. We finally began working on it in December and had just finished painting the walls and all of the trim.
I was so pleased with the outcome and next up was purchasing and installing the hardwood.
We planned to buy it in April but just recently found a leak behind the walls I’d just painted so my newly painted den turned into to semi demolition project.
We had to pull off the existing sheet rock and seal the concrete wall with hydraulic cement. It was fairly simple but not the sheet rock and insulation must be replaced =$$$ 🙁
In the meantime, I decided to turn me focus back to my master bedroom and created some decorative pillows and an upholstered headboard.
The headboard was a really inexpensive project so I duplicated it in my children’s bedroom using different fabrics. I hope you are inspired to tackle some do-it-yourself projects this month.
If you’d like to take pictures and share your projects with APW readers, simply contact me.