Are Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kits at Walgreens Worth the Money? | #IHeartMyNailArt

Cbias Disclosure

Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit Blog

You already know I do my manis and pedis at home following my Easy 5 Step Manicure tutorial. I do my own because it’s cheaper than going to the salon and I get a lot of joy out of pampering my hands once a week.

So one week when I shared a picture of the results on my facebook wall and instagram feed an APW reader named Christian  left me a comment on this manicure photo recommending  I try the gel nail kit.

I did a little research and saw the Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit at Walgreens I wanted to try.

Although I have a Walgreens 5 minutes from my house I heard there was a Walgreens in Greenville that had a nail bar.

The nail bar is basically a section of  Walgreens dedicated to serving the needs of the nail enamel enthusiast by providing a nail salon type atmosphere and one-on-one attention.

Sally Hansen Nail Bar in store

Since my husband drives that way to work I decided to ride with him to check out the hip new nail bar.

Gel nails are supposed to last two weeks before chipping whereas my regular polish lasts about five days. It’ll be great if using gel nail polish increases the time between nail polish reapplications.

In addition to the nail kit I bought some nail stickers to add a second layer of design to this week manicure.

Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit 017

I’m going to show you how easy it is to apply the gel manicure plus show you the final result with the nail stickers.

Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit 020

Step 1: Apply top coat and then cure under the LED light for 30 seconds. The light has an automatic timer so there’s no need to count.

Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit 021

Step 2: Apply color. I used “shell we dance” which is that light pink color you’d normally use for a french manicure. After applying your color, cure under the LED light for 30 seconds.

Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit 022

Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit 021

Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit 014

This is what my nails looked like after applying the base coat and just one coat of nail enamel.

Now it’s time to repeat step to by applying another coat of color and curing the nails under the LED light.

Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit 022

Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit 021

Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit 015

Here are my results so far.

Step 3: Now add a top coat, cure for 30 seconds, then wipe the nails clean using a nail cleanser pads.

Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit 023

Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit 021

Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit 024

Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit 025

Once my nails were done I added some detail to my nails which was inspired by what I am seeing in my flower garden this week.

Garden Update 003

Some pink and purple Gladiolus has bloomed as well as orange Asiatic Lilies. Just by looking out of my window I’m inspired by the colors in my garden.

Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit 026

Using a tiny paint brush I created white geometric shapes on my nails. To get crisper lines you can tape of the area where you want the white to show up or use a nail enamel pen.Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit 028

I allowed the white nail polish to dry a few minutes before applying the flower details which are tiny stickers and very easy to apply.

Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit 030

#iheartmynailart

(See more nail art inspiration at iheartmynailart.com)

Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit 031

After applying the stickers, I added a clear top coat to keep the stickers from peeling off.

Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit 032

After applying the Sally Hansen Gel Nail polish I can already tell the difference in the thickness of this enamel.

Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit 033

It reminds me of acrylic nails. There are three drawbacks associated with using the Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit.

1. The LED light was hot enough to cause a burning sensation on my nails. This was very uncomfortable and will deter me from applying the gel manicure as often as I would if there was no burning.

2. The drying time was much longer than when using traditional nail enamel. It took my nails a couple of hours to fully dry without showing signs of smudging. I did a combination of air drying and holding them under a cool fan.

3. The upfront cost is pretty steep but If you’re already spending $20+ dollars every two weeks on manicures this is a less expensive alternative.

I paid $59.99 by using my Walgreens Balance Rewards card but the Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit price will drop to $39.99 the week of 7/14 if you order online.

Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit 035

Overall, I love the ability to apply salon like looks at home and if my polish last for anywhere close to 14 days I’ll definitely be adding more gel polish colors to my nail rotation.

Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit 036

According to the wording on the Sally Hansen Gel nail kits, I can get 10 applications.

Sally Hansen Gel Nail Kit 004

That’s $6 per application which is about $34 cheaper than what you’d pay at the nail salon for gel nails.

Comments

1. Denise says

Thats strange yours burned under the light, as ive been doing mine for along time and never had that problem..

I didnt buy a “kit” just went to Sallys and bought everything..
    I love it ….

Yours look very nice..

2. says

Your nails look amazing and I love the fact that you can do this right in your home. Lately, I’ve been losing patience with the amount of time I spend waiting at the nail salon and how expensive it is. I am seriously considering doing this on my nails at home.

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Tough Cookie Mommy, That’s where I was at too Maria. Too much time and money wasted. The time is a biggie for me. I don’t like being in the salon for hours. I spend 1 hour per week working on my nails. That’s painting and drying. It’s become part of my weekly fun/me time. 😀

3. Azuree says

The key to gel is to apply thin coats. The hot sensation is the gel particles activating on your nail. Led works quick (5-10 secs) uv takes 2-3 min. So that’s why they got so hot, it wasn’t the lamp. I’m not sure what top coat comes with the kit but you can apply stickers over the top coat and do your artwork and seal it with the gel top coat. So no drying time needed! (I don’t know how often you change the design though…)
    Also if you run out of the cleasening wipes try makeup pad with sanitizer 🙂 works just the same.

I also saw that they chipped? Was it the free edge? If it was…you might gently cap the ends of your gel on the tips of your nail. That way it shrink wraps your whole nail and harder to lift or chip. 🙂

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Azuree, thanks for all of the great tips. After a few days of wear I concluded I applied it too thick because I started seeing air pockets under the gel where the enamel was separating from the nail. I saw it around the edges so I knew daily activity was pushing against it. I normally paint my nails weekly with regular polish. I’m definitely going to apply your advice to my next mani. Thanks so much!! 😀

4. autumn eaton says

Awesome review! I have been wanting to get my nails done but don’t want to pay for them, so this is definitely a better alternative for doing my own at home.

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@autumn eaton, I don’t want to pay either. I got a mani and pedi done a few weeks ago for a wedding. $42 and the mani chipped after 3 days 🙁 The manicurist told me I could pay $20 more for gel nails. WHAT!!!!!????!!?!?? :/

5. says

Love the design and the way your nails look but it does sound like it’s a bit expensive for me right now. Or coarse if you are going to a salon you’ll save a lot of money this way.

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Paula -Growing Up Bilingual, If you’re not already going to the salon and if you don’t buy nail polish and or paint your nails regularly it would be a splurge purchase. SO glad you liked the design. It was very easy to do at home and can be done with the stickers and regular nail polish (MUCH CHEAPER option)

6. says

They are gorgeous! Thank you so much for such a detailed tutorial I hear a lot of people saying about doing it at home but I have always assumed it would be really hard 🙂 x

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Sarah Bailey, I did too but it was very easy. I feel like I could even try doing my own acrylic nails now. 🙂

7. says

I love the detail you added onto these nails. Thank you for sharing the step by step tutorial for gel nails! That definitely is less expensive than a salon mani!

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

Definitely less expensive. After wearing them a few days one chipped 🙁 I think I may have put the coats on too thick. I’m looking forward to trying again I think they should last longer with thinner coats. I loved how strong they made my nail feel.

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Sara Pirate (@CleverPirate), Thanks girly!!

Trackbacks