4 Ways to Improve Your Finances

4 Ways to Improve Your Finances

4 Ways to Improve Your Finances

1. Make a decision to trust God completely with your finances.

Until you can trust and do everything His word says about your money, you will most like always struggle with a lack of it.

2. Begin to understand Gods position on money and how we as Christians should relate to it.

The easiest way to figure out what God has to say about our money is by reading the Bible.

I recently narrowed down the 20 verses Christians should know about money and how it relates to every decision we make. Once you understand Gods purpose for currency, you’ll begin to make better choices with it.

3. Look for God to do something supernatural in your finances this year.

If you believe He is still a God of miracles you will operate your life differently than you’ve ever done before.

In 2008, when my husband and felt convicted to become debt free we were behind on bills, barely scraping by as a young family with four children, a mortgage, car notes and credit card debt.

Today we only have our mortgage and we will be debt free within three years.

For us, that’s a miracle.

4. Believe God will meet your needs.

In order for this to work you have to know what your needs truly are. I admonish you to make a list of the basic things you and your family need on a daily basis to survive.

The main things on my list were food, shelter and family. As long as I had those things each day I’d praise God. I stopped focusing on the things and lifestyle I had accumulated. I took my mind off (as much as humanly possible) the debt, lack and late bills.

When we turn our focus on Gods provision, it moves us out of His way to bring us where we need to be.

I struggled with trusting God with my finances for years but am so glad I finally gave it over to Him.

If you find yourself struggling with your finances I’d love to pray with you. Just leave your name and or prayer request in the comments below.

Comments

1. Mandy Justice says

All prayers greatly appreciated, I have been drowning in financial responsibilities for quite a while now, in May 2013 my husband lost his job that had been our sole source of income for our family of 5, he went down hill from there getting mixed up with the wrong people and drugs, I have stayed dedicated to him even through it all and I think now he is on the wright track but has not contributed to our financial needs over the last 3 years and has been unsuccessful so far at finding a job in our area and we only have one dependable vehicle which I drive to work and to take kids to school. With all of this that is more than enough, we have a child who has very serious health issues and we have spent 4 out of the last 8 months in a hospital and I have missed almost all of that at work time also. We are on the verge of loosing our home and I my job doesn’t pay enough to keep up with every months bills. I am so lost at this point and I have tried to put my trust in God but I am not sure I completely know how to let go, and it seems like every time we feel we might be able to breath something else knocks us back down. I know we need to learn how to better manage our money but it just seems impossible at this point. I am very discouraged and don’t know what to do. Thank you for the prayers

A Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Mandy Justice, troubled finances can put a heavy strain on a marriage. I recommend looking at Dave Ramsey’s website and beginning to follow his teachings about finances. There are some resources that cost money, but with Google and some effort, a lot of the basics of Dave Ramsey’s financial lessons are online. With a solution to the money issues, you can see more clearly on the other stuff. Make sure to read your Bible daily and ask God to guide you and your husband by the Holy Spirit in how to get your family back on track.

2. nat says

hello! I am so delighted to find such encouragment here today. A friend on facebook shared your page about your book, Remove from me this venomous tongue. I am grateful for her and you. Thank you for your care and ensight to help others. I feel you are a messenger from God. I have been drug through some of the most difficult times lately. God is victorious. He will never leave or forsake me. My firstborn is in a dark and cold place in his life. This is causing a huge financial issue for our family. So far God is showing through the darkness. Please pray for him and his salvation. I know everything is going to be ok. Thanks again!

A Proverbs Wife Reply:

@nat, I am so glad your friend shared my book with you. Your hopefulness despite your circumstance is inspiring. God never promised no darkness, but he did process to see us through it. Thanks you for sharing your faith and hope. I’m praying for a should stirring to take place in your son where he head no other alternative but to choose our Lord and savior. In the name of Jesus, we are claiming it.

3. Kim says

My husband has a successful business…we are able to keep people employed (some family members), we are able to pay our bills, we are BLESSED. I work a full-time job which is very stable but I have missed a lot of work due to illness. I have seen the drastic change in our income. The problem is, we have two young adult children still living at home that we support, including vehicle insurance and minor/major repairs to vehicles, doctor bills, food, utilities and one living on her own but still relies on our support for car insurance and any emergency bills they may come up. These kids cannot make it on their own! One came back home after being on his own for six months because they cut his hours at work. One is moving to another state to live with her mother because she misses her and I have a feeling we will still be taking care of her upcoming “emergency” issues. I’ve moving money from savings into checking to pay bills. I’m feeling overwhelmed. The two “kids” living at home go to college part-time and work part-time. They barely make enough money for gas. I think we need to make these kids start paying rent or contributing to the bills. I am going to pray about it. Please pray for us. I haven’t approached my husband, but have in the past. He says they need to focus on school and not pay bills. Thank you.

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

Hi @Kim, I’m praying for the wisdom of God to guide you and your husband in what to do.

4. cinthya anchez says

My name is cinthya and I will like to pray for financial freedom.

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@cinthya anchez, I am praying with you friend. If you’ve ever heard of the Total Money Make Over you should check it out. The book should be available in your local library and is based on Biblical principles.

5. says

I just printed this page and I am couponing we just don’t have double couponing in florida. Thank you for praying for me and my family I am raising four of my children kids and have one of my daughters and her two kids live with me also I’m trying to get out of debt I’m on disability so its a little hard right now.

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@willie jean devlin, I will keep your family in my prayers. I know God is able to turn any situation around.

6. paulina kieliszewska says

Prayers for financial provision appreciated. I’d like to start my own buisness and move, however I don’t see a way and don’t feel prepared. I have a student loan and car note; currently I am commission based so it’s very difficult to budget.

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@paulina kieliszewska, I will definitely pray for direction, wisdom and Gods provision for your life. Stay grounded in His word. Seek His face through prayer and Bible reading and He will guide your steps.

7. India says

This was super helpful to me.My husband and I are also looking to eliminate most of our debt….praying for a mirical!!!!!!

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@India, With God all things are possible. We loosely follow the Total Money Maker Over and it was a tremendous help in giving us a road map to get to where we are. It wasn’t easy but it was worth it. May God Bless your goals.

8. Delane Gomes says

We are a young family we have 5 children. We recently move from California to Arizona and my husband lost his job a month after moving here,But I quickly got one. We have been struggling. We just got out income taxes back and played off our credit card debt and our monthly bill that were so high I dont know how they didn’t turn them off. Please pray for us to be wise with the money left over.

The Proverbs Wife Reply:

@Delane Gomes, I am praying with your sweetie. The fact that you are putting God in control of your money shows you honor Him. Remain faithful. He doesn’t lie and always keeps His promises.

9. says

I won’t say I struggle bc all my needs are met. But I realize that for years I’ve lived beyond my means and last year I decided to stop it and use cash only. Your story is inspirational and I set a goal to pay off all debt this year and just have my mortgage and student loans. I’d appreciate your prayers also!