I absolutely love being married. There are few things I would do differently if I had the chance, but marrying my sweetheart isn’t one of them.
Our marriage wasn’t always blissful, but once we made a decision to cultivate happiness, things changed. Now just about every day is like a new opportunity to grow deeper in love. When we put away the distraction of arguments, bitterness and discontent, we opened up the door to a deeper love relationship.
Not only do I have a happy marriage, but many of you do too and you want to help other couples get there. So I asked a question to my friends, and within our A Proverbs Wife Facebook community, and the response was overwhelming.
After reading through every single response, here are the top 25 secrets for a happy marriage (tweet this).
1. Always put God first! (tweet this)
2. Attend church. (tweet this)
3. Communicate. – Take inventory of yourself and how you are communicating with your husband, not just how he is communicating with you. Are you speaking in loving tones? Are you asking questions and listening to him talk? Are you telling him what you want and need, or expecting him to read your mind? Check yourself to make sure you’re doing your part in making your marriage a happy one. — Brandi (tweet this)
4. Have the courage to compromise or say you are sorry. (tweet this)
5. Be ready to forgive. Stay humble and try to forgive each other before going to bed.Forgiveness is the action word of love. It really is. That’s how Jesus treats us. He forgives us. (tweet this)
6. Never stop dating!! Set aside time dedicated to just the two of you – whether you talk, cuddle or just hold hands – remove all distractions and focus on each other. Change things up so it doesn’t become a chore or just another daily routine – take walks together, play silly games, etc. (tweet this)
7. Stay pretty. If you looked pretty when you met him, don’t forget to cultivate that throughout the marriage when possible. (tweet this)
8. When you’re engaged and newly married, “oneness” is stressed, but that doesn’t come overnight. Realize that you will need to grow and learn together as Mr. & Mrs. — Michelle (tweet this)
9. Whatever you did to get him you should do to keep him. For example, if you were kind and patient while courting, do your best not to become bitter and short tempered once you’re married. (tweet this)
10. Learn to disagree without becoming combative. (tweet this)
11. Always tell the truth and tell it from a motive of love. (tweet this)
12. Remind yourself that your husband is God’s child, precious to our Father beyond even our own capacity to love. If God can forgive him for the things he does, so can you. (tweet this)
13. Make sure you’re FRIENDS. Friends can get through what lovers can’t. Sex isn’t a cure all, and sometimes you’ll need to laugh your way through some stuff. Laughter is SO necessary. — Natasha (tweet this)
14. Respect, honor and revere your husband, not “if he…” but at all time. Respecting your husband isn’t based on his behavior. Respecting our husbands is our response to God. (tweet this)